Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about rebuilding DME harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007 | 01:41 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Default Thinking about rebuilding DME harness

I have the DME harness out of the car and the poor thing looks pretty tired and shriveled. The jackets are all discolored and hard and many of the wires seem stiff and brittle. Interestingly the connector bodies seem to be in pretty good shape, with no cracks or obvious signs of brittleness. Since these seem to be the biggest expense in a rebuild I was wondering if I could reuse them with new boots, wires and pins. Has anyone done this?

Also any other tips or cautions on rebuilding a harness would be appreciated. I’ve done a number of searches but there’s not much in the way of detail out there.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:06 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Lindsey Racing will get you there as far as the fuel injector, knock sensor, and reference sensor harnesses are concerned, not sure about the rest though. Just make sure you know where everything goes so you don't accidentally solder something where it shouldn't be.
Old 07-17-2007 | 10:06 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are going to lose your mind and end up in a nut house. Have fun.
Old 07-17-2007 | 10:19 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-17-2007 | 11:42 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Or "If it ain't broke, it will be" You make the choice on a 20 YO car with questionable electronics in the first place. Rebuilding the injector harness and battery cables is a must, they see the most heat and get moved more frequently. The OE harness should have had heat shielding especially where it exits the firewall.
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:16 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Rebuilding the injector harness and battery cables is a must, they see the most heat and get moved more frequently.
That’s my thought as well. I have the Iceshark battery kit, so I’m covered there. But I don’t trust the injector and timing sensor wiring in its present state.

I think I’ll start by trying to make my own injector and timing sensor harnesses using the existing connector bodies. Worse comes to worst, I’ll ditch my stuff and buy the Linsey harnesses.

Any suggestions on sleeving? I was thinking of using woven PET sleeves, but I wonder if I should go with something with greater heat insulation.
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:34 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Definately do the battery cables and injector harness. it's things like the ignition circuit and others in the 30 or so wires going into the DME harness that are the things that I wouldn't touch unless they went bad. But then again, everytime I work on something that doesn't need it, my car doesn't work afterwards, or I break something else and have to replace it.

That said, I can't see how bad your harness is from here so maybe it needs it!
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:38 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PowerTechParts
You are going to lose your mind and end up in a nut house.
Too late! That's where I'm posting from! (Mmmm, they're serving Jell-o, gotta go...)
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:52 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Jay, way to man up on the harness... good luck and let us know. When mine goes, I will go your same route. Get quality components and good soldering equipment, take your time, and you will out do yourself.
Old 07-17-2007 | 04:09 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

If you're going to do this, kayjayco and eagle day are your friends.

You can also picked up some shielded wire from aircraft spruce to replace the reference sensor wires with.

For sleeving the stuff Lindsey racing sells seemed like the best deal I could find on durable high temp stuff.

When you add everything up, the prebuilt harnesses Lindsy sells is actually not too bad a deal. I'm still a but nuts like you seem to be and rewired most of my engine bay myself.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-17-2007 | 11:31 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the links. That looks like just what I need.
Old 08-07-2007 | 10:04 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Anybody found a source for the big DME connector?
I have two cars that have this thing busted due to some idoit pulling the motor with it connected...
Thanks JC
Old 08-08-2007 | 11:10 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I am in the process of rebuilding a harness for my 951. Instead of having my car down for weeks I bought a spare harness from another rennlist member that still had good AFM & TPS plugs. I am buying the Lindsey Racing injector, reference sensor, and knock sensor harnesses to replace all of that stuff. With the harness on my work bench I will be able to snake all the new stuff through the snorkel for a clean look. For the rest I am buying new boots and thermal sleeving everything. I will also replace any questionable areas along the way. I will post pictures when I get done.
Old 08-08-2007 | 02:57 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NeoRules
Anybody found a source for the big DME connector?
I have two cars that have this thing busted due to some idoit pulling the motor with it connected...
Thanks JC
Your best bet is to scavenge one off a used harness. I recently bought a set of DME & KLR connectors from lart for a very reasonable price. I bet he has more.

If you want to go for new, I'm pretty sure the DME connector is a Tyco/AMP 827663-5. You can see the catalog entry here. (BTW, ignore the picture that comes up with that link as its obviously wrong.)

Note that I might be wrong about the body color. They come in both white and 'natural' and I guessed the connector on my harness is natural.

The Tyco site doesn't show any distributors that have the connector in stock, however Heilind has it in their catalog (with no price), so I assume they can source it.
Old 08-08-2007 | 03:08 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
I am in the process of rebuilding a harness for my 951. ... For the rest I am buying new boots and thermal sleeving everything.
How are you planning on removing the boots? From what I can tell most of the boots are epoxied onto the connector bodies and wires. I was able to free one of the injector connectors from the harness, but it was a lot of work. I didn't have the patience to do the rest, so bought all new connectors.

Also, have you found a reasonable source for the boots? The new style connectors no longer use these boots and apparently its hard to come by boots for the larger connectors.

Quick Reply: Thinking about rebuilding DME harness