Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do these Pictures tell.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 12:52 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Default What do these Pictures tell.

okay so in the on going effort to figure out why my car won't start when its hot, I changed out the FPR and looked at the Plugs and changed those as well since I had just ordered a new set for my 30K tune up. Anyways after changing the FPR car still wouldn't start. It turns over but won't fire. Looking at the plugs they have black carbon deposit on them. So it could be one of two things. first one being running to rich causing the car to stall out, second one being a weak spark. The car will start sometimes and drive great but when I shut it off and try to start it again it won't start again till morning. So tell me what do I have?
Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2007 | 12:59 AM
Darwantae951

So the plug in the picture is a brand new plug?

-Darwin
Old 07-16-2007 | 01:02 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

No they are about 18 months old. But still they should be a nice golden brown and not black like that.
Old 07-16-2007 | 01:10 AM
heavy fuel
Intermediate

very hard to read a plug from pictures......

the black ring on the base (end of the threads, not on the electrode) is from oil leaking into the cc. past the rings or valve guides, pretty normal for almost 30 yr old car.

the electrode looks a bit dark, but in normal range (see caveat above). doesn't appear to be part of your hot start problem IMHO.
Old 07-16-2007 | 03:08 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heavy fuel

the black ring on the base (end of the threads, not on the electrode) is from oil leaking into the cc. past the rings or valve guides, pretty normal for almost 30 yr old car.

the electrode looks a bit dark, but in normal range (see caveat above). doesn't appear to be part of your hot start problem IMHO.
This could be wrong. My car can suck some mean oil into the combustion chamber - however it comes from some worn *** turbo seals.
Old 07-16-2007 | 04:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The problem could very well be electrical. It could be either heat raising resistance somewhere, or heat causing a crack in the wire to expand and open (breaking circuit).

Next time the car gets hot, check for spark. If there is no spark, there is a sensor or wire somewhere that's giving you problems. The electrical gremlin can also cause fuel issues. I have seen a case where the heat causes the DME relay to stop functioning properly, so the fuel pump stops pumping. So when it's hot again also check to see if the fuel pump runs, or you can bypass the DME relay with a jumper to see if that fixes anything.

When it gets hot, and you try to start it, do you see the rpm needle bounce slightly? If it does not, you have a speed/ref sensor problem. I've seen some speed and reference sensors become heat sensitive as they fail (the sensor part is fine but the wire connector part of it is what becomes damaged from heat and only works when cold).
Old 07-16-2007 | 04:21 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heavy fuel

Agreed. Very difficult to read a plug from pictures alone, but they don't look too bad.

You can clean off the carbon by taking a propane torch to them and heating the electrode until it just turns red. Let it cool and reinstall.
Old 07-16-2007 | 01:10 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Well I but in new plugs yesterday and when I started it up I now have really bad spark knock it sounds like plus it smells like the car is running lean.
Old 07-16-2007 | 11:53 PM
heavy fuel
Intermediate

So earlier i was thinking ignition system, but since it was just running that doesn't make much sense.

There is a check valve after the fuel pump that might be bad, and also an injector leaking will cause no start when hot. the problem is fuel pressure is not kept up in the lines after shutdown the way it should be. it's worth a try, i've not had this problem so let us know what works.

thanx

Quick Reply: What do these Pictures tell.