Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help REINSTALLING Torsion Bar Tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help REINSTALLING Torsion Bar Tube

Ok, so i pulled my torsion bars, and now that I've reindexed them it's time to reinstall.

One problem--I can't seem to do it.

There are a total of 3 mounts on either side for the whole torsion bar thingy. One massive bolt that goes through the body towards the front of the car (on the end cap). I CAN GET THIS ONE IN.

The second is more of a guide, if you will. It's the weird post that sticks out and the cut in the end cap allows it to be seated in the end cap. I CANNOT get this one in.

Lastly, there is the rubber chassis mount type thing at the top of the wheel well. The black arm (it's part of the tube itself, not the end cap) goes into a slot here, and then a small bolt goes through. I CANNOT GET THIS ONE IN EITHER.

Sorry to use caps, but I figured I'd make this a marginally faster read by emphasizing those points.

As I said, I have the huge mother-effin bolt in at the front of the end cap, but I cannot get either of the other mounts into position (on both sides of the car, as well).

Is there any magical way to do so? Do I need to change the order in which I attempt to install the bolts? PS, I can't see how on earth I can get one of those big bolts out now, no matter how I try to eliminate load on it, it won't budge.

Considering that the two huge-major load bearing bolts are in, could I just reinstall everything else and lower the car and see if they get pressed into place?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Chwatson
Racer

It's the banana arm slotted mount and the end cap post guide mount thing that can't seem to be moved into position.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So A is in, but B and C are not in? How far off center are B and C?
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Chwatson
Racer

B is about .5" back from where it should be, and therefore the post won't go down into the recess.

C is about .75-1" too far towards the back of the car. the mount it should go into has i think 3 or 4 'ribs' but the last rib in it doesn't have a slot, and even if it did, and i could get it into that mount, it doesn't want to go and also the holes don't match up.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Practice!!! This is always fun; I've done it countless times now.

I always first use two jacks to bring either side up evenly (L/R) first, till I can start getting the front bolt (A) in the hole. Doesn't usually go in all the way, first off.

Then I use the jacks to raise up the trailing arm by jacking under the rotor; the CG of the rear suspension is well behind the torsion bars themselves, so the whole thing rotates rearward quite a bit during installation first step.

As I rotate the rear upward, then I can get the big bolt A fully installed, and line up the upper bolt C. Often, in order to get the C bolt to line up, I loosen the small (13mm head) bolt where the mount bolts to the arm over the wheel well - though recently, I've been able to just pry with a prybar in the mount, and convince the rubber to deflect enough so I can thread the bolt in.

B is always, for me, the last one in... Usually requires quite a bit of persuading, sometimes large hammer, prybars, etc, till the stud pops into the slot.

One final note; the large bolts A, where they install on the body - one side is slotted! Makes it easier to work up.

I wouldn't call the whole thing, overall, a particularly graceful process, but it gets smoother with practice.

Hope that helps...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chwatson
B is about .5" back from where it should be, and therefore the post won't go down into the recess.

C is about .75-1" too far towards the back of the car. the mount it should go into has i think 3 or 4 'ribs' but the last rib in it doesn't have a slot, and even if it did, and i could get it into that mount, it doesn't want to go and also the holes don't match up.
This sounds pretty normal - remember, the mounts are rubber, there is deflection, and you need to use it. The upper mount C is retained into the body with a large single bolt accessed from inside the trans well - that's usually the one I remove when removing the rear susp.

Quick Reply: Need Help REINSTALLING Torsion Bar Tube