Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car leaked... right after replacing the entire interior.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car leaked... right after replacing the entire interior.

Well, my car leaked... I thought I had taken care of all of the leaks in the car, but apparently I was wrong. It sucks because I just got through replacing EVERY SINGLE PIECE of the interior of my car. I gutted it, and replaced everything down to the sound deadening on the floor, the dash, everything.

Check it out here...

In any case, I discovered that the leaks were coming from the cowl (at least some of them). The previous owner had installed some stuff up there by drilling machine screws RIGHT into the metal. I welded them closed, and fixed that. Then I discovered that my battery tray had a VERY slight leak. I took a wire wheel to it, and learned that it was much worse. It's not that bad, but I ended up having to weld a 1"x1" piece of metal in there and seal up a crack that was forming along the seam. I water tested it and no leaks. I then sprayed the entire inside of the battery tray with Rhino Liner.

Now, I discover that the LAST think that's leaking is my sunroof.

I simply DO NOT know what to do to prevent these leaks from happening. I'm "pretty sure" that all of the drain hoses are correctly attached. The water seems to be leaking in the CENTER of the sunroof at the front.

What all do I need to do to make sure that everything is OK? My sunroof is inoperable at this point. There are no latches in front (are there supposed to be?). There are some latches installed in the rear that don't appear to look like they belong (they don't fit very well).

Does anyone have any examples of what a 100% correct sunroof for an 84/944 should look like? Where the latches are, what gaskets to use, etc?

I'm really bummed... all new carpet, and everything. Sure enough, I'm getting mold spores on the carpet now and in a couple spots on the new (used) seats I bought. I just hope I'll be able to get all the mold out of the car.

Thanks...

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Bus
Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that.

How much water was the carpet exposed to, you have mold growing??

There should be two latches on the front. They snap up/down to allow the roof to be removed. The motorized rear latches are built in and push the rear of the roof upwards. They are stealth.

My roof leaked slightly and was cured by removing the black gasket, cleaning it, and re-securing it with 3M weatherstip adhesive/sealant.

Perhaps you can post some pics of your latches and roof so we can see what you are dealing with.

Obviously, you will want to get the interior dried out asap, then seek treatment for the mold. Once the moisture is removed, it may no longer be a problem since mold thrives in moist areas.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:12 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by philcav7
Sorry to hear that.

How much water was the carpet exposed to, you have mold growing??

There should be two latches on the front. They snap up/down to allow the roof to be removed. The motorized rear latches are built in and push the rear of the roof upwards. They are stealth.

My roof leaked slightly and was cured by removing the black gasket, cleaning it, and re-securing it with 3M weatherstip adhesive/sealant.

Perhaps you can post some pics of your latches and roof so we can see what you are dealing with.

Obviously, you will want to get the interior dried out asap, then seek treatment for the mold. Once the moisture is removed, it may no longer be a problem since mold thrives in moist areas.

I think I see my problem already. I have a set of latches in the REAR, not the front. There is nothing in the front to hold it down except some slat pieces which slide under the body when it's installed. The rear has some latches attached which don't seem to fit right (manual latches). The car has a powered sunroof though... but clearly those retractable latches are broken.

I'd take some pictures, but it's raining right now and my 944 is leaking.

I put a tarp over it in the mean time (under the car cover), so we'll see.

Since 99% of the interior is brand new, and what wasn't is cleaned, there isn't very much mold on much of the car. There were a few spots of mold that appeared in the carpet. The only REAL place I see mold is on the seats. They're used so they've probably never been cleaned. I had planned to do that after I finished doing the timing belt and radiator and all the other stuff in the engine compartment.

I'll get some pictures this weekend...

thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Bus
Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Oh man... it is SOOO nasty out today. It's 86 degrees outside and 87% humidity. It is friggin nasty, and I can only imagine what's festering in my new carpet right now. I've got to get that Porsche in the garage...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:51 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Rent a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment - it'll pull out more water than a shop vac.

Then put that Fiero outside , put the 944 in the garage, and run a fan in there.

Quick Reply: My car leaked... right after replacing the entire interior.