Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Odin's raven! It's back!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
DarkGrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Odin's raven! It's back!!

Got my throttle response back!!

After a solid month or more of checking/rechecking/replacing parts/pulling my hair out, I think I've got it!

It would start up first crank, idle great but die after 20sec or so of running, unless I gave it gas in which case it would just die. The car was also running rich as hell.

Fuel pressure was checked 3 times, the throttle body was replaced, the AFM replaced, all vacuum lines are new and a bunch of other new goodies are under the hood.

Out of sheer frustration I pulled the plug on the idle control valve and starter her up. I didn't even think it would idle...boy was I in for a surprise. The car started and idled well, great! Ok now I was interested....so I gently layed into the throttle and sure enough it started bogging out like usual. I just kept laying into the throttle more and more and about 3/4 of the way down to the mat, the car started smoothing out....the tach needle sat at 1100 and suddenly I was at full throttle.

This was bizarre....pedal to the floor and the car sat purring away. It should've stalled out long ago. Suddenly the tach needle starts bouncing up just a hair..

Next thing I know, the engine just roars all the way to 6500!! I let off the gas right away and just start toying with the throttle....responsive as can be! I was in bliss lol so I shut the car off and poke around the engine some more, then get back in and try it again. At full throttle the tach just sat at 1100 again but nothing exciting after that.

Kinda pissed that I didnt get the same result right away, but happy I got it down to that!!

Now I want to figure why this happened...obviously the idle control valve is stuck..but in what position? And why at WOT did the engine sit at 1100 for a few seconds and THEN suddenly I had a really responsive pedal??

Couldnt have gotten this far without my faithful Rennlisters!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you replace the throttle position sensor (on the throttle body)?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
DarkGrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New throttle body with switch. I really just want to understand what happened here with the ICV and why lol

Quick Reply: Great Odin's raven! It's back!!