Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIXED!!! Bad vibration on down shift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevep2000
Presume you're aware of this possibility with the Balance Shaft belts ....

The shafts have one keyway but the pulley has 2. If you take one off and the balance shaft has the weight at the top - then when you are not looking it can turn under its own weight 180 degrees and you can then fit the pulley on again with all the timing marks lining up - but the shaft is then 180 degrees out of phase.

So it is not just the timing marks that must be in line!

(Copyright Baz Hartech - UK)
That will cause a constant vibration not only when down shifting.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

If the the whole clutch assembly was replaced (flywheel, cluctch and pressure plate) the parts should be balanced seperatly and then all parts as as an entire assembly prior to reinstallation. You would be surprised how out of balance thses can be.

The reson for the rubber centered clutch disc was to absorb these viberations. With a spring centered disc the viberations are amplified.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me as though those with new clutches may not have had the flywheel resurfaced to spec?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
jbrill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has a brand new fly wheel along with everything else...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Sounds to me as though those with new clutches may not have had the flywheel resurfaced to spec?

Done
Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vibration or shudder when downshifting? shudder is from engine and transaxle having different revs...rev matching cures this. you said you do this...does it still vibrate even when you blip the throttle to rev match on a downshift?

if that's the case....hmmmm....i'd check the motor mounts, possibly check the transaxle mounts too, maybe the cv joints' cheeseheads are loose (long shot) or perhaps the torque tube bearings are gone...
Old 07-04-2007, 02:30 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
vibration or shudder when downshifting? shudder is from engine and transaxle having different revs...rev matching cures this. you said you do this...does it still vibrate even when you blip the throttle to rev match on a downshift?

if that's the case....hmmmm....i'd check the motor mounts, possibly check the transaxle mounts too, maybe the cv joints' cheeseheads are loose (long shot) or perhaps the torque tube bearings are gone...
I don't know about the transaxle mounts but mt TT bearings are noisy at times, how about you other guys with the problem?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbrill
it has a brand new fly wheel along with everything else...

The parts should still be balanced. You would be surprised how out of balance they are right out of the box.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
tkacki
Instructor

Same thing on my '89 S2. 3krpm vibration + 3->2 shake after clutch replacement. New original spring centered clutch disc. New motor mounts, new tranny mounts. BS belts/gears/setup - perfect.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tkacki
Same thing on my '89 S2. 3krpm vibration + 3->2 shake after clutch replacement. New original spring centered clutch disc. New motor mounts, new tranny mounts. BS belts/gears/setup - perfect.

So before the replacement there was no problem?
What was in there before - spring or rubber centre clutch?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
PennyWise
Racer

my 2c worth...

89 S2...No vibrations...
April 2005 - New engine mounts.... still no vibrations...

Aug 2005 - 3000-3200 vibrations started at same time as I started to get a whip-lashing at pedal on/off. Vibrations most noticable in 2 & 3rd gear. Cause - Blown rubber centered clutch.

Aug 2005 - Clutch replaced with SACHS spring centered... flywheel smooth....
Transaxle a little noisier at idle... no vibrations to date....

I did once had a Golf that got oil in the inspection hole on the bellhousing. Oiled up the clutch plate nice and good.... the car shuddered badly whenever the clutch was engaged.

What is the chance of stuff getting in there on your S2 during a steam clean or something and soiling the clutch plate surface?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PennyWise
my 2c worth...
I did once had a Golf that got oil in the inspection hole on the bellhousing. Oiled up the clutch plate nice and good.... the car shuddered badly whenever the clutch was engaged.
This make me think many, many moons ago.................. a neigbour was rebuilding the engine on his Golf. I did not know him but I saw that it took him a very long time often late into the night. Then one day he came knocking on my door, introduced himself and asked if I would please come and have a look, they finished the engine and was putting oil in but the oil leaked out as they poured it in.
Yes ....... they poured the oil in the clutch inspection hole. Needless to say I never saw them drive that Golf again.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PennyWise
my 2c worth...
What is the chance of stuff getting in there on your S2 during a steam clean or something and soiling the clutch plate surface?
I think that might be it, mine was terrible then after I replaced the clutch it was perfect then about 1000kms later its back, now about 2000kms later its gone again without me doing anything about it.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Done
Then you may have worn synchros in the tranny.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
tkacki
Instructor

Some vibrations around 3k rpm before clutch job, no rattle. It was rubber disc. I think rattle is directly related to spring cenetered disc.

Quick Reply: FIXED!!! Bad vibration on down shift!!!