Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 951 chattering noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
doubletour
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 951 chattering noises

once again i have learned (the hard way) that it is better to fix a problem when it is small than to let it blow up!

i overheated my 89 951 a couple months ago in traffic and right away reinstalled my fan fuses (had a short during the winter) but ever since then i get a chattering noise when the engine is at operating temp. i opened the cam gear housing and found that the oil is leaking from the center of the cam nose under the rotor. cam shaft seal still looks good. the compression is pretty even in all cylinders at 107-115(my guage is probably reading low) and the car still runs ok but i have been driving it gently. i am thinking of taking the cam assembly off and maybe going to the head (but would prefer not to). any thoughts on what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

another unrelated wierd noise happens when the car is turned off. sounds like it comes from the clutch housing area, maybe the pilot bearing or spring? anyone ever get that and how immediate is this (going on for about a year)?

NEW to rennlist - so greetings everyone! and thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't really help you out with your problem...but I can welcome you to Rennlist! Throw up some pictures of your car so we can see what you have. Also it isn't that much to become a member and you help keep this going. Sorry about your issues tho. Hopefully you can get them fixed and get back to driving her how she was meant to be driven.

-Darwin
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
doubletour
AutoX

hi darwin
i am trying to figure out how to get a small enough picture of my car with my digital camera.
thanks for the welcome.
the problem is probably a valve or something (unfortunately that means head work). most other cars are a little more forgiving as far as overheating (i have an 84 oldsmobile and a 63 mg)
philip
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and figure out where the noise is comming from. Touch engine parts (not moving ones ) with a screw driver and listen to the end. That compression does seem pretty low.

As for the noise, I have no idea.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
doubletour
AutoX

cam tower comes off next. i think if i left the compression guage on there and cranked it longer i could get to about 130. for consistency i only let it cycle through 6 times and was looking for consistency between cylinders. adding a few squirts of oil raised the compression by less than 5 psi. car has 112K on it so i figured at the most this would be some head work. mainly just trying to get psyched up to work on this!

Quick Reply: 89 951 chattering noises