Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
mick944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 vibration

Anyone on experience with front (steering)vibration from 968.It's weird because if the wheel(steering) is straight there is no(vibrate) feel but if I turn it slight(change lanes) there is a vibrating,almost grinding feel from the steering.It also varies with the type of pavement(feels as if I am driving on grated pavemnt).(Also appears to be more prevalent with the AC on).On smooth pavement,hardly noticeable (which led me to believe that it is just sensitive steering on rough road but I drive my wifes Audi TT over the same stretch of road and its smooth as silk).I recently changed tires in hope it(tires ) were the cause but no avail.I know I have thrown out a lot of what would seem to be non related symtoms but it's driving me crazy.(went to drive it to Porsche shop this morning and it drove smooth as can be).
Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mick944
Anyone on experience with front (steering)vibration from 968.It's weird because if the wheel(steering) is straight there is no(vibrate) feel but if I turn it slight(change lanes) there is a vibrating,almost grinding feel from the steering.It also varies with the type of pavement(feels as if I am driving on grated pavemnt).(Also appears to be more prevalent with the AC on).On smooth pavement,hardly noticeable (which led me to believe that it is just sensitive steering on rough road but I drive my wifes Audi TT over the same stretch of road and its smooth as silk).I recently changed tires in hope it(tires ) were the cause but no avail.I know I have thrown out a lot of what would seem to be non related symtoms but it's driving me crazy.(went to drive it to Porsche shop this morning and it drove smooth as can be).
You power steering pump may be on the fritz. Have you checked your fluid level?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check ball joints and castor blocks.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Did you get the alignment done when you swapped tires?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 PM
mick944
Instructor

Default Power steering pump

You could be on to something there.Between powering the PSP and the AC compressor(whenAC is on more noticeable) there could be relation.The PS fluid is normal level.I did not have the alignment done but new tires did not affect vibrate.My 968 has a date at the Porsche shop nexy week so I will see what up!.Thanks for feedback(I'm sure whatever it is will cost me a bundle)-I'm due because in the 2 yrs I've had this one I have done next to nothing(except change the oil).

Quick Reply: 968 vibration