Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Failure Mode for Clutch Master cyl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But I like the gossip at 4am! (hey, I fell asleep on the couch downstairs watching tv and the comp was on when I came upstairs to go to bed, so I figured I'd make use of it)

Its getting there. I am ready to stick the head back on, but am waiting to finish painting and then baking the headers. Spent yesterday replacing the power steering lines, and have the pump sitting in pieces for a rebuild. Still need to stick the clutch cylinders back in the car as they are sitting on the work bench. Have a big box of parts to take to get re-plated (hopefully cad won't be too expensive), and I'm going to go help roger remove the 27/6 from his car on sunday. Still have to put in the SS brake lines and fab up some intake piping to replace the j-boot and do a stealth install of my maf with the stock air box. Have a throttle reseal kit coming in the mail and will then do that. Still need to buy maxxtronic and maxxtune. Have Rob Budd @ 928 leathershop working on a 944 turbo design for his hood liner (the hood is sitting next to the car), and when I get that I plan on getting some of his SS bolt kits.

Cans of brake clean are too damn expensive for how short they last.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Jon,
Haven't heard from you in awhile but I'm glad to see you are still a 944 diehard.
Thanks everyone for the replies, I didn't receive email updates and I just thought my post faded off the front page.

I am thinking that my adjustment was needed due to wear of the clutch. there is no visible fluid and I haven't had the pedal stick to the floor so I think I am ok.

Yeah, Steve I am still lurking on here once in awhile. The car is running fine and I still enjoy the S. Just did the front wheel bearings last weekend. Keep me on your PM list for the drive up to Loon Lake.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hydraulic clutch is really self adjusting (like disc brakes). The freeplay adjustment rod is not a regular maintenance item I'm pretty sure. I suspect it only needs adjustment when you change master cylinder due to tolerances. I would also be really surprised if that master cylinder was original with 260K miles. The seals typically wear out long before that. Even if the car had low miles it would likely fail due to corrosion in the bore (chews up the seals). You may want to take it apart and get a good look in the bore before you buy a rebuild kit. Any sign of pitting corrosion and it's garbage.

Quick Reply: What is the Failure Mode for Clutch Master cyl?