Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 Balance shaft? rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:42 AM
aggerz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S2 Balance shaft? rattle.

Hi Folks,
I've got a strange one, my car ( RHD '90 S2 Cab) has developed rattle.

It only rattles when it wants to, hot, cold etc does not seem to affect it.. but when it decides to go you can hear it from the cabin, and if you look underneath you can visibly see it wiggling about; the slightest touch will stop it.

I am not really sure what exactly the part is and unfortunately I cannot upload any pics as I have not met the rennlist min post count but I believe it’s just a plug at the end of the balance shaft housing..

Its round, shiny silver with an indent like a welsh plug., It is mounted on the back of the block; just above the heat shield for where the oil level sensor goes into the sump/oil pan.

If anyone knows what im talking about; and how I can stop it I would really appreciate it it.. I have thought of putting a tiny..and i mean tiny dot of silicon at the bottom of it to stop the movement but as I've said I would appreciate any other input..

Thanks.
Aggerz.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet you could just cram gasket sealant anywhere aaround it htat you can get. It should not move anyway. There is an oring fitted around it, that you bolt the cover down onto it holding it in that spot. It's the end seal for the shaft . It doesn't need to move, wiggle, etc, so i wouldn't worry about hurting it with sealant.

If it's going as far as rattling I'm surprised it isn't leaking oil.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
aggerz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply; I too thought I wonder if its so loose - why no oil leak? but I had figured at the time that maybe its not the full seal maybe there is another seal behind it.. but thanks for the advice!

I will most likely do as i mentioned and get some sealant on it but keep an eye on it incase it develops into something more.

Car has just had a heap of work done not least of which were belts; so I'll get it checked when it goes back in for belt re-tensioning in a month or so.

Aggerz.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

After just breaking down two engines you have the same problem. Every end cap on mine was loose. That aluminum end cap holds a very fat O-ring against a seal area. The seal always shrinks and will eventually leak badly. If you can clean the area very well you can dab on a good oil resistant sealant (Curil K2 or KT) between the cap and housing to keep that plug from rattling. That seal plug is not supposed to move at all.

Quick Reply: 944S2 Balance shaft? rattle.