Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof gears finally fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof gears finally fixed

I finally fixed my sunroof. AFTER stripping 4 gears and waiting a week three times for new gears to be shipped i found it was the easiest repair I have done. The frustrating part is I tried to do it hastily and wing it instead of doing it right the first time.

Here's what I should have done the first time:

1) Take headliner panel off.
2) Cut into headliner to reveal gear boxes.
3) Unscrew covers from each gear box.
4) Remove lift arm and gear from each gear box.
5) In hatch move carpet behind drivers side rear wheel well from side to expose sunroof motor cover. Remove cover. Remove cap that covers nut to manually close/open roof.
6) Use tool kit of you still have it or a 21mm socket and turn nut (either clockwise or counterclockwise) to get cable in the retracted position. If the lift arms were still in they would be retracted all the way into the roof to allow you to remove the sunroof panel. So...........
7) Install gear and lift arms in each gear box. Install them in the fully retracted position and make sure that both sides are even.
8) Install gear box covers.
9) Turn ignition to on position and hold in microswitch (I used thumb), turn around and watch as you hit the open sunroof button. Pray that the lift arms raise.
10) If they do then hit button to close the roof. The arms should stop in the sunroof lock position.
11) Last test. Put ignition in the first position and hit button to retract arms. The should retract and stop. If they dont stop you'll strip the gears and you have to order new ones. You will then have to adjust the clutch . I didn't have to BUT I probably should have checked the clutch first (actually i know I should have) but I got lucky.
12) Reinstall carpeting and header panel.
13) Then reflect what a Bozo you've been for trying to find a shortcut to replace the gears.

Just a word of thanks to Chuck at Paragon. The third/last time I had to order the gears I suggested there be a discount for fools who have already stripped 4 gears trying to fix the sunroof. I also requested that he send along a technician with my order and I would gladly pay for the shipping. Well...He said the tech refused to sit still to be taped for shipping. He did however, send my order priority mail this saving me money and shipping time. Thankd again Chuck
Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep it's a job that you think would be rather straightforward but it isn't. I replace my gears and not can't seem to figure out why the arms never engage into the locked position. It's got to do with the microswitches and I haven't been able to get it right yet!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
Yep it's a job that you think would be rather straightforward but it isn't. I replace my gears and not can't seem to figure out why the arms never engage into the locked position. It's got to do with the microswitches and I haven't been able to get it right yet!
Try removing the arms and then manually turning the nut so the cam is in the retracted positon. then reinstall the arms in the retracted position.

Quick Reply: Sunroof gears finally fixed