Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! New 17" wheels/tires hitting rear fender! (Sport Edition Cup 3 from Tire Rack)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM
mikec944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might wanna jack the left rear up and check for play at the L.R. wheel. Mine started scrubbing the rubber off too and it ended up being a bad wheel bearing.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
vanclan@cablemo.net
Track Day

Default Lip Roll Worked!

Thanks everyone, for the tips on the baseball bat trick. I wrote Special Tool 944.951 on the bat, but it won't fit in my tool box!

Steve/Dan, thanks for the latest replies. Just went for test drive after rolling both fender lips, and had no problems. I went over the dip where it had scraped before without a problem. This is in Creve Coeur Park, for those familiar with St. Louis. Also took it over a heafty dip in highway 270 and did some pretty hard cornering. It's looking promissing.

The front wheels are stamped ET52 on the back, so TireRack sent the wrong front wheels. I'll have to deal with TireRack tomorrow on that and my sliced tire.

These wheel look good, but they are heavy. The car was not dramatically slower, but I'll have to drive it for a while to see if I really notice anything.

Here a before and after:

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Attached Images   

Last edited by vanclan@cablemo.net; 06-03-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW: A big reason why you're probably rubbing only on the driver's side is the extra 150-200 lbs on that side of the car when you place yourself in the driver's seat! You may not notice that while sitting in your driveway, or while driving down the road, until you hit a bump or something...

That's why they put sandbags in the driver's seat when corner balancing a car -- to compensate for the weight of the driver.

Question: did you get different lug nuts for the new wheels? If not, make sure the contour of your lug nuts match the contour in your new wheels. If they don't, you risk cracking the new wheels due to the stress.

-Z-man.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I have a 86 NA with the same wheels and 35mm rear spacers, mine also rubbed on the drivers side. I fixed mine my removing a small amount of the lower front inner fender, for some reason there seems to be about 2mm extra steel on the inner skin that fouled my tires. I took a sanding disk on a grinder and removed the extra steel so inner and outer skin were flush and guess what, no more rubbing, its really odd how such a small amount of material could cause such a nasty problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 AM
vanclan@cablemo.net
Track Day

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the tips. I rolled the fender lip in and now all seems to be well. The lug nut holes are rounded like the OEM wheels, so I think I'm all set there.

Thanks again to all that answered my cry for the help! I spoke with my TireRack rep today. They are shipping out new early-offset front wheels to me, and a new rear tire to replace the one that got damaged. They said they will reimburse me for the mounting and balancing. Then I'll need to ship the bad stuff back. Sounds like they are going to take care of me on this.

I'll upload some more pics once I get all the correct wheels on.

thanks again,
Van

Quick Reply: Help! New 17" wheels/tires hitting rear fender! (Sport Edition Cup 3 from Tire Rack)