Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut/shock upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Im fully prepared for this I think. I have a DE this weekend and then nothing to do until the end of august. With everything Id like to do this should give me enough time at least. I have some help lined up. A friend of mine (for some reason) like working on these cars. Im planning on doing as much of the bushings as I can. I dont have a press so I may just have to remove the parts and have a shop do that part, but Im looking forward to playing with the torch. The front control arms should be pretty straight forward (famous last words) so the back is going to be the hardest I think.
The front was much, much easier. The second time around I could probably replace the whole front suspension in a matter of a few hours.

I was able to do the bushings without a press. The spring plate bushings I just heated up & pulled off. I forget the name of the other ones, but the most outboard ones that connect the aluminum caps to the body of the car, I was able to remove with a gear puller (took about 5 minutes total). The new bushings I was able to just slip on by hand, or gave a slight tap of the sledge w/ a wood block. I used the weltmeister plastic bushings though, the poly-bronze ones may be a bit more involved.

Quick Reply: Strut/shock upgrade question