Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car keeps dying at Autox - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:33 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Default Car keeps dying at Autox - Help?

Well, here's the deal.

3 weeks ago: car hesitated for literaly about quarter of a mile when i hit the gas going about 40 on a decently windy road , but nothing terribly tight. No hesitations after that for a week.

Week later: Driving home, feel it start hesitating like that again, go around a corner and put it in neutral and let it idle as i was still moving, it stumbled twice, then died completely. Pulled over, waited 30 seconds, started the car and drove the remaining mile home without trouble and it idled fine for 10 minutes in front of my house.
Put drygas and fuel injector cleaner in the tank, and all was good for a week.

Today: Autocross, 1/3rd of a tank of gas. first few runs were fine, stumbled and almost died one run, went to the gas station got more fuel treatment, put it in. Ran good for one run. Next 3 runs it died completley after the first slalom, the last time, just afer the slalom on the skid pad. had to stop for about 15-30 seconds, (it wouldnt start in the meantime) and finally it started, drove slow around to the pits and it was fine, and idled fine from then on...

Any ideas? Almost think its a starvation kind of deal since it was always on the same part of the autocross track. In between runs i went up and down the road , up to redline, etc and it never hesitated. What could be causing all this?

BTW drove the 45 minutes home and it never hicupped once the whole way...
Old 05-20-2007 | 09:52 PM
JivenJim
Intermediate

I would check fuel pressure at the Fuel Rail. You can rent a gauge from some auto stores (need metric) If its low pressure= fuel pump or fuel filter or maybe DME Fuel pump relays. Try tapping on the Relay if it shuts off or the jumper bypass trick on Clarksgarge.
If fuel pressure good at fuel rail then Injectors might need rebuilding. See Witchdoctor injector service or such. Also maybe fuel pressure regulator if good pressure at rail.
Check you Spark plugs after running for about 5 minutes. White means low on fuel. Brown = good. Greasy means oil leak. Smells like gas means Rich.

Quick Reply: Car keeps dying at Autox - Help?