Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed and ref sensors. (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speed and ref sensors. (Again)

Hello.
Recently I have the retaining bracket for my 1986 944 n/a auto trans break and take my sensors out with it.
With the old sensors the car would start but misfire above 20mph.

I got a set of sensors and a bracket from a 86 n/a manual and tried to hook them up tonight.

I gapped them with the rear sensor that hovers over the ring gear, and tried to start the car. And no go.
The tach didnt bounce or anything.

So I gapped them again. Still no bounce on the tach, or start.
The back sensor (above the ring gear) is properly gapped, but I stuck my finger in the TDC inspection hole and found that I could slide my finger under the front sensor (above the flywheel).
So the back sensor is all fine but I cannot get the front one to go down enough to get a proper reading to the DME.

The part numbers on the sensors are the same as my old ones.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Is the retaining bracket different for the manual and auto trans flywheels?
Does the auto flywheel have a smaller diameter?

Any ideas on how I could remedy this?

Thanks for any help.
~Brett
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

bump?
no one? please?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

last bump
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you plug the sensors into the correct connector? If you switched them, the car won't run.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

They're plugged in correctly. I checked that several times.
I had the sensors checked by a mechanic and he said they checked out. So I gapped them with a washer. Bolted and plugged them in.

And as of right now I'm sitting on a no spark condition. I checked the coil and that is holding a charge and can spark. I checked the ignition X and DME relays. I hooked up a timing light to a plug and I'm just getting no spark. The cap and rotor are good. Wires are good.
The only thing I could think of is maybe the DME itself?

Any other ideas?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 PM
JOE MONDELLO
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAL----I'M suppossed to meet up with a guy this week to get a DME but I figured I'd go back and double check the sensors on my 83 944 one more time before I wing 400 bucks.I took the covers off my DME checked the solder points that they say go bad and found nothing wrong.Anyway I ohmed my speed sensor at terminals 8 and 27 and it was good.I don't have a oscilloscope but I know that the thing is a AC signal so I switched my DVM to AC200 range ,cranked motor and got 2.5 volts ,cool.
I then plugged into 25 and 26 on the DME connector ,cranked the motor and got .5 volts-your supposed to get 2.0.I then went out under the hood and did the same test on the black and yellow wires-pins going to front reference sensor and .5 volts. So I guess I'll change the ref.sensor first. I don't know If your car is the same as far as circuits but I thought I would put in my 2 cents.I'm gonna chase down a ref.sensor tomorrow and I'll let you know how I made out. The learning curve goes on......
If anyone out there can way in on this way to check the ref sensor I welcome your feedback...................thanks JOE M
Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, Joe.

Quick Reply: Speed and ref sensors. (Again)