Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
jonnyface
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's it worth?

So,

I recently bought an automatic 84 944 with 120k miles, and I already need to sell it, but I'm not sure what it's actually worth. Any help, (or interested Philadelphia area buyers) would be greatly appreciated.

The exterior is in decent shape: no dents, no rust, but some some low quality maaco paint that's flaky in the places it shouldn't be (PO had the rear spoiler painted white for example). Any help with the wheels would also be appreciated (the caps say BBS but I don't recognize them).

The interior is tan leather, and in poor shape. The rear seats are okay, but the fronts are ripped and the carpet is dirty. The sunroof is broken but doesn't leak, but it has the battery tray/passenger footwell leak, which looks like it was fixed once but needs to be sealed again, and as I've found out the hard way sometimes causes the car to not start after it rains.

The radio is broken, but the rest of the electronics (power windows, gauges, lights) work.

I have service records for the car as far back as 1988 when the previous owner bought the car, including timing belt and water pump replacement at 96k. He claimed an engine rebuild at that time but I have no documentation to back that up, just the belt/pump record.

I bought the car through a consignment dealer (my first mistake) intending to make a project out of cleaning/replacing the interior, putting some new weather stripping on the sunroof, eventually getting the whole car repainted and having myself a nice daily driver. I test drove it, looked over the service records, talked the guy down $500 and walked away feeling pretty good about my buy without first taking it to a real mechanic despite the fact that it had been sitting for almost a year prior to my buying it(my second mistake).

On my way home, the temperature gauge climbed steadily, and a call to the dealer revealed that the radiator fan wasn't working, which he claimed he told me, but never did (I haven't had time or the inclination to trouble shoot it. It could be as simple as a bad thermostat or as annoying as needing a whole new fan assembly). I drove it home slowly and steadily being careful not to overheat it, and now I don't have any place to store it and I've changed my mind about putting in the money/effort to make it nice again since I can't even drive it reliably while I fix it cosmetically.

I doubt an 84 automatic NA makes an appealing candidate for a track car for anyone, and I'm no longer interested in putting the effort into making it a daily. So my question is: what's it worth?

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Sell the BBS wheels separately - you might get $200-500 or more out of those, depending on shape.

Buy some Fuchs/Phone dials or cookie cutters to sell on your car.

Best bet is eBay - check closed auctions to get an idea of prices/ranges. You might get $1,000-$2,000 out of it from people (who don't know how much parts cost, mostly) who are looking for projects.

It looks like some POs have abused it...

Being an automatic is one strike for most potential (sports car) buyers...
the white-painted front bumpers and spoiler don't help

Good luck on your sale, don't let this turn into a sneaky for sale post. You can't sell unless you are a paid member.

Personally, I think you should keep it (fixing the fan should be easy, but you need new timing belt etc, to be safe) because you got into it cheaply enough.
Option 2 is parting it out, but it doesn't sound like you have the time/space or inclination.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

auto 944 in the condition you stated above.....parts car!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
jonnyface
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I wasn't trying to be sneaky, just wanted to get a reasonable starting price before putting it on craigslist.

I appreciate the advice, and I wish I could keep it, but it's not in the cards.

Quick Reply: What's it worth?