Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone in the san francisco-ish area have a tensioning tool i can use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 02:32 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

lol i just realized that..

well the fourth reason could just be something dark and sinister.. that chooses to remain mysterious
Old 05-10-2007 | 02:38 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I'll be getting in line soon...........
Old 05-10-2007 | 05:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well if you ever decide to destroy the car, I have a jackhammer and a sawzall.

Re. your cylinder head and those 4 snapped bolts... Are you sure they are FUBAR now? Maybe I can come by and fix it? If you do actually take the head off again, then I think we should replace those two head bolts (the stainless ones I used) with stainless studs. We can loctite the hell out of the studs and ensure they never give... and I know studs will work fine because that's what Porsche put on my 968.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:50 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Arash, 3 of the 4 bolts are fine, its just the last one that was shot. Its the bolt waaaay in the back of the head where that little coolant outlet is. I tried drilling the bolt out but the original bolt kept eating my bits so i decided to drill just to the left of it. The angle i had to take to get at it was so pretty ugly too. When i tried bolting in the outlet thing the bolt wasn't going in right. Also, trying to tap that thing out wasn't any party either.

Anyway, you can imagine my reaction when i took the car off the jack stands, filled it with coolant, realized i still needed to tighten the front alternator belt, put the car back up on the stands and noticed the coolant gushing out the back of the head.

Well if you feel like coming up i'd be more than happy for the help. We can try fixing that idiot.. oh goodness i just had an enlightenment.. we can forget bolting that piece of sh*$ in, instead we could put a stud in its place, lock it into the head somehow and attach the coolant outlet thing that way.

Besides that, if i do decide to replace the whole head i'll probably just fix this one up, keep it as a spare and we can put studs all over the head, that way if something gets stuck it'll be a nut or something and we dont have to worry about drilling into the head anymore.
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:55 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Also i forgot to add, Tuesday is my next day off. Let me know if you're able to come up then, after that im off on either Thursday or Friday.
Old 05-14-2007 | 02:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll be busy most of the week - maybe Friday...

Studs are the way to go! The only problem might be for that rear coolant neck, since if you use studs, there might not be room back there to manuever the neck onto the studs. Definitely worth a shot though.

Oh yeah, and to lock the studs into the head, we can use globs of red loctite . I can't think of a downside...

Quick Reply: anyone in the san francisco-ish area have a tensioning tool i can use?