Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting air pocket out of coolant, is there an easy trick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007 | 09:57 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Default Getting air pocket out of coolant, is there an easy trick?

well, after getting the car going, an under hood inspection found that the bleeder screw on the goose neck was leaking a little, so i took a wrench to tighten it some, and the head snapped off!

Engine was hot, so coolant sprayed all over the place. I filled up the resevoir and squeezed the upper radiator hose burping it out the gooseneck. well, im pretty sure i have an air pocket now, because the next day in an ATM line, my temp started shooting up a lot faster then it should be, its fine when driving with a lot of air moving, and the fans are working. I figure its an air pocket.

Is there a trick to getting it out without flushing the entire system? If i have to flush, is there a good way to try to catch the coolant to re-use it?

I searched some, and saw to use a tool to pressurize it (i dont have one) or blowing into the overflow tube, or just flush.

Whats my best plan of attack? Thanks
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Park car on an incline, facing up with cool engine.
Leave engine on and turn heater to max.
Open bleed screw and bleed until no bubbles come out.
Done.
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:06 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

AutoZone loans out pressure testers for free. I'd loan you mine if you were local.
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:16 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

ok, i think my heater is wrong too, when i got the car, the clip was busted, i replaced the clip, but i think it may have been in the wrong position, because i dont feel any difference in the air when i move the *** one way or another :/
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:21 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

well, i had the front end up, took off the heater clip to ensure i could get the heat on full blast, had some bubbles come out of the bleeder, then a bunch of fluid, closed the bleeder, and it ran for maybe a total of 10 minutes at idle with no ill effects.

Tonight after i drive home from work, park it, i sit in there to watch, and sure enough as soon as i park, temperature starts to climb. either full flush now i guess, or something else is amiss...

i must have been lucky the first time i did a coolant flush, never had a problem, now i get this
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:33 PM
hpservertech
Pro

didn't you say the head snapped off the bleeder screw? if so did you replace that yet? What I found was to help force it if you dont have a pressure tester. Keep squeezing the top & bottom radiator hose until it's hard or you hear no more sloshing of fluid. It's a royal pain and a complete mess, but i'm guessing you still have a bubble in there. Raise up the front more, run the car with the bleeder closed, wait for it to get hot some then open the bleeder and watch out. give it a good 5 minutes of sputtering fluid out to make sure. worse that happens that you are out some fluid. antifreeze is cheep, so even a whole new flush wont set you back anymore then 1/4 tank of gas.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:38 PM
bigred1001
Pro

Be aware that when autozone loans you one, it typically does not come w/ the proper adaptor to fit the expansion tank. I did however, come up w/ a very cheap alternative. We buy bottled water in 2.5 gallon jugs that have a rubber nozzle at the end. It is the perfect diameter for the tank. I cut a hole in it, put a piece of clean heater hose through, and blew real hard. Worked like a champ. Afterward I let it run w/ the heater on to make sure no bubbles remained and did the hose blow one more time for good measure.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

I bought a pressure tester from NAPA for about $100. Its the best $100 I have EVER spent on tools for a 944. If you are planning on keeping the car any length of time and plan on working on it yourself, get one. Bleeding the system is as easy as fill up the coolant res, attach the pressure tester, pump it up to 11-14 psi, crack open the bleeder for about 4-5 seconds, close it, check the tester to make sure its still up to pressure, crack it open one more time for 4 seconds, close it, release the pressure and remove the tool, check the fill level, and then put the rad cap back on. It takes less than two minutes, including the time it takes to walk to the tool box and get the tester and a 12mm socket. Best of all, you do it with the engine cold, so no scalding yourself.

Regards,
Old 05-09-2007 | 12:25 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i didnt replace the bleeder with one with a hole, i was using a regular screw, and it still spit bubbles through the threads, and when it started gushing and did all but blow the screw out, i shut it.

I think i may have a bad FPR or something too, and may order one when i get that. After i was done bleeding and removed jacks and put stuff away, the car wouldnt start, because im assuming it was flooded, with throttle open, it almost started once, but didnt, let it sit for an hour and it fired right up.. .this has happened a couple times now in about 3 weeks. and it may be causing too much pressure giving it too much gas when i let off the throttle causing it to choke on fuel and drop the rpm's down to 400... we'll see
Old 05-09-2007 | 09:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Check for other potential causes that are making the car overheat. You may have a stuck thermostat.

Quick Reply: Getting air pocket out of coolant, is there an easy trick?