Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belts, water pump, and front seals on an 85.5 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Daryl,

Keep the comments and pics coming. I am truly enjoying your progress.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Today's update. Actually, iits yesterday's. Today I re-sealed my throttle body.

So, here we go...things are relatively clean, and I put on the new waterpump with some shiny new bolts. Wow...6 ft.lbs isn't much. I guess that's why there so many freaking bolts. Anyway, clark to the rescue again on this one. Good procedure write-up: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cool-07.htm

Back belt cover back on again:

Now I've put on the timing belt rollers and the upper balance shaft roller. The timing belt went on as in the procedure at Clark's (http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-06.htm). It's a little tough to get it on, but once you figure out how it slips in, it's easy. Yet another one of those jobs that's so much easier after the first time.

And here's the 9020x attached. I thought I was leaking power steering fluid but it's turned out OK, its just blood.

When I first tried to use the 920X with the calibration bar the bottom of the tool was hitting the rear belt cover. Turns out that's because I had the belt way too loose. Then I tried it looser and it worked. Great. Made my calculations and the tool bottomed out to the top before I got it where it was supposed to be. So now I started in the middle, and it worked great. Another "much easier next time" thing. I took off the tool and the safety bar and roller to try the "twist method" and that seemed to confirm that I'm at least somewhere close on tension. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I still need to figure out if I am missing something behind the cam drive gear on the crankshaft (see post #14) before I go any further. If someone can help out, great. If not, I'm just going to tear it back down and see what's back there and put some more pictures up.

That's it for now.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
hpservertech
Pro

Is that an early style pump?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hpservertech
No...my hand is in the way of the guard. You can't use a 920x (as far as I know) on an early style pump.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Daryl, good thread for us newbies Thanks for posting up! I started doing this Sunday afternoon, decided to stop (ran out of time after getting stuck on a bolt) and will try again this weekend. You're right, it'll definitely go faster next time around.

I found that rather than following Clark's procedure exactly, it'll be easier next time around to remove the airbox first, pull the distributor cap, remove the fans, and then set TDC. And rather than removing some wire in the AFM, I just removed the bottom of the airbox, left the top in the car (removed the J boot and other hose)

Originally Posted by hpservertech
In the first pic, you can see the bolts (outlined in yellow) sticking out that the separator bar fits on - that's how you can tell it's a new style water pump:
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Daryl, good thread for us newbies
Yeah...that includes me.

...rather than removing some wire in the AFM, I just removed the bottom of the airbox, left the top in the car...
That's exactly what I did, until I decided the airbox was too filthy to put back in.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
hpservertech
Pro

Pictures speak 1000 words. Time to update the clarks manual with these pictures.

Tremendous help! Keep em coming.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

If Clark or anyone who has access to update the site is on here, feel free to use them. Credit goes to "Puddles, the power steering fluid leaking 944".
Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Proper update with pictures coming soon, but I'm done with the job now, and all appears to be well.

Too nice of a day to not be out driving.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
-Continuing on, I go through Clark's on how to remove the belts: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-05.htm

OK...so here's where we talk about #9. Remove the crank shaft bolt. Sound easy, right? Sure.

So anyway...back to that bolt DON'T TRY IT WITH A 12-POINT SOCKET. IT'S A STUPID THING TO DO. REMEMBER:
So what did you use? A deep socket, as suggested by Clark?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
medevack
Instructor

WOW nice pics and step by step procedure keep 'em comming man.... "delware" river you said? were you in delaware?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I'm glad to see the second bloody picture. The first one was truly disappointing. I get bloodier than that when I torque my wheel bolts!

Kudos on the effort. I don't have the courage to tackle something like that. I can't wait for someone to start posting actual videos of these procedures. The pics and the text are great, but they don't replace actually seeing the job in progress.

Last question- how much of the front end (if any) do you remove? In the Audi world, the cars are made so that the whole nose comes off pretty easily so you end up with the front of the engine fully exposed.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
So what did you use? A deep socket, as suggested by Clark?
Deep or shallow is not the problem. 12-point is. You need a 6-point socket to get that much force on that bolt.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by medevack
WOW nice pics and step by step procedure keep 'em comming man.... "delware" river you said? were you in delaware?
Delaware River - the car was in Yardley, PA when I bought it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Last question- how much of the front end (if any) do you remove? In the Audi world, the cars are made so that the whole nose comes off pretty easily so you end up with the front of the engine fully exposed.
I did just fine and had plenty of clearance with the fans and radiator out. Nothing else seemed necessary.

Quick Reply: Belts, water pump, and front seals on an 85.5 944