Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is embarrassing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:48 PM
DarkGrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is embarrassing..

My first post ever on Rennlist and its an issue with my 944.

The starter (the 2 month old starter!!) seems to have crapped out.

Turn the key, always getting a humming with an occasionally click beforehand. I've cleaned the engine grounds and the contacts on the starter but the problem persists.
With the multimeter I can find ~12.5 volts at all the posts with the key in the ON position.

For the life of me I can't remember how I fixed this last time!

I've got the starter out of the car right now and I can jump the solenoid into action but I cant figure out the right combination of posts to get the gear to spin lol

I feel like such a noob right now..................
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My '86 944 NA has happily owned me for just over a year now.

Not once have I driven it.

I bought it with a seized motor, four blown tires and burried under 2 ft. of snow. Note that at this time I didnt even know what a 'crankshaft' was.

Since then me and Haynes have picked up a motor from a junkyard out of town and dropped it in from the top. (After replacing every seal and then some.) Since then I've bent valves, broken the doo-hickeys, painted and repainted everything, fried the DME, replaced 200 miles of wiring, bled the brakes 40,000 times, changed the oil more times than I care to remember, and in the process learned a helluva lot abt cars. The hard way.

I'm on the home stretch of this amazing adventure and every time I go into the garage and see that fund-sucker sitting there, I get the same stupid grin on my face as I did the first time I ever sat in her.

So without furthur ado, I welcome myself and into the notorious Rennlist forums.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:51 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I can't help you, but just wanted to say: Welcome!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! Thanks for the story. Knowledge is a difficult and lengthy path but the rewards are infinite.

I too had my 87 for a year before I put any appreciable mileage on it. For many of the same reasons.

As ausgeflippt said, I cannot help you on this one, but be persistent with the understanding that the car will make you smile even wider when you actually have it on the road. Good luck, and welcome to the list! Don't be a stranger... we all need things to read while at work!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
DarkGrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks for the replies anyway, guys lol

Just gotta keep looking to the glorious day I take her on her maiden voyage!!

As for the starter...

I couldnt wait for this mystery to unravel itself so I took the housing off and sure enough, burnt to a crisp. Burned, warped brushes fell out. The housing and solenoid are new and in great shape essentially I'm looking for the motor+guts. Have to see what the repair shop'll want for that.

Quick Reply: This is embarrassing..