Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New oil cooler leaks -- bummer for me, but amusing story

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 09:12 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Unhappy New oil cooler leaks -- bummer for me, but amusing story

Sometimes you wonder if something is not meant to be, other times you know.

I just finished installing the KISS oil cooler kit today. Not too tough an install and looks tidy. Of course, it took me quite some time because I was cleaning and polishing everything as I went. You should see my horns and fenderliner now. But, I digress...

So, i fill up the car with 6.5 quarts of oil. I check everything twice. This is the first time I've started the car since also installing a new radiator last weekend, replacing all of the coolant hoses, putting in a new starter, and installing the Iceshark grounds kit that I've had knocking around my closet for two years. So... I'm a little tense.

It cranks right up and settles into a very happy idle. Check the gauges: oil pressure is about 4 bar (this will be VERY relevant in a moment -- little do I know); all the warning lights go out; things look great.

I take a quick look under the car to check all the connections and validate that nothing awful is happening. Not that it has even crossed my mind that something awful could be happening. I should really say that I was checking under the car to admire my drip free handywork and congratulate myself.

But... I never quite made it to under the car, as I can plainly see oil GUSHING from the oil cooler. It's hard to say how much is already on the floor, but it's probably 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart. In perhaps 10 seconds. Maybe less.

Off goes the ignition. While I'm VERY hurridly turning off the ignition, I'm wondering to myself how that much oil could possibly be seeping through the connections that I double checked and tightened very adequately. I mean, I could understand a slow drip, but this thing is pumping out oil faster than the Exxon Valdez.

Well, suffice to say that the f**king Mocal cooler is hemmoraging from the end of roughly the third row up from the bottom. This is actually my second Mocal cooler, as I cross threaded one of the lines on the first (Doh!) and bought a replacement from BAT.

What are the odds? And thank f**king god the thing filled up with oil even though the thermostat was closed. Could you imagine what would have happened if the thing was bone dry until the oil thermostat openned for the first time at 70mph on the highway??

Anyway, it's miller time for today. I'm going to pull out the whole setup (cooler and lines) tomorrow morning and reconnect just the factory cooler for the moment. I have a DE weekend at Road America next Sat-Sun and I just don't think I can risk attempting to install a third cooler at the 11th hour.

Quick Reply: New oil cooler leaks -- bummer for me, but amusing story