Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAHAHA stupid mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
Between the two cars there's over 800 hp dynoed at the ground, on pump gas, at over 110 degrees ambient air temp. The mustang's title says it's a four cylinder as well...
Wow, you have a 700hp 951? Post some pics!!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mustang's title says it's a four cylinder as well...

Care to find out?
Titles can be deceiving.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sorry but this thread has gotten silly.

i've got a wagon that is so fast in the straights, I can hit 200mph stop turn to the next straight and repeat, its so fast i'll race any 951 for slips.... Ok maybe not, but i'm just trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Wow, you have a 700hp 951? Post some pics!!

here 700rwhp twin turbo 958, bring your pinche mustang, rolfmao.
Attached Images      

Last edited by lart951; 04-30-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Wow, that cars badass!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
The link to youtube video with the Cobra vs 951 was my car. Boy was that a long time ago. That video sure has made its rounds. My car was pretty much stock other than chips, testpipe, and boost controller running 15psi. My buddy Mike had just bought that car and was talking crap all that week. Im not much a talker so I said bring it up and put your mouth where your car is! To say the least he kept his mouth shut after the race. Good guy though..
That video has sure made it's round hasn't it Danny Boy! Trust me folks, Dan's car is definately fast... probably would spank my turbo S specs '89 951! We've ran plenty of back roads and he's always glued to my bumper... I'm pretty sure he only chooses to not pass me because he repects me as his elder ;-)

Rock On Scully,
Cory
Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen, knucklehead...

I know I'll regret wasting time on this, but I have a 20 year old 951 and a 20 year old mustang. My 951 (typical) listed for $33,800, and my mustang listed for $8474. That was in "1987" dollars. I would say you are comparing apples to pomegranites.

Between the two cars there's over 800 hp dynoed at the ground, on pump gas, at over 110 degrees ambient air temp. The mustang's title says it's a four cylinder as well...

Care to find out?
SVO? Sweeeeet. Nothing like a turbo 2.3liter mustang.

For those that don't know, the original svt mustangs were called svo mustangs, and they were turbocharged 4bangers until the late eighties. It is the american 951.
http://www.mustangsvo.org/svostory.htm
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I just had to jump in here.

First let me get the story straight. I don't know what video Dan87951 is talking about, but the video of the 944T spanking the Mustang on the circle track is not his Porsche.

The vid was taken by none other than Dan the Man Pierson at the Mansfield Motorsports Speeday. I was driving the 86 951. The event consisted of one-on-one heats of about 14 different cars - for one lap around the track. If you win you get back in line, if you lose, you go home. The race in the video is the last heat of the night. We each won all of our "qualifying" heats.

The Mustang had a plate that read "02 Cobra" but he later said it was a mustang GT (poser). We were told this guy won all of the other "Parking Lot Drags" and was of course the odds-on favorite - so this wasn't his first trip around the track.

My car is a basically stock 86 951. No chips, MAF, or other engine modifications. It puts down about 200hp and 250 ft/lb of tq at the wheels. - I can show you the dyno sheet. I was preping the car for club racing and engine mods are not allowed. I did have a cat pipe (you can see the flame when I hit third gear on the back stretch) and a full coil-over, corner-balanced suspension. I was also wearing Yokohama A032 tires. Oh yeah, I was the only driver wearing a helmet.

We thought it would be cool to get a video of the 951 on the track for the upcoming 944Fest - I didn't really expect to win the event. During the earlier runs I noticed the 'stang tended to run high in the corners. In his heat before mine, he almost got beat by a souped-up Pontiac Sunfire (or some that looked like it).

When we staged, the on-track announcer gave me the choice of lanes since the Mustang had won before. Of course I picked the inside, but after reviewing the tapes (Dan taped the whole event), I compared all lap times for both cars and was faster by a couple tenths - inside and outside lane - than the stang.

After the race, the dude was a sore loser. First he parked his car in the "winners circle" - so I parked in front of him - and he didn't want to shake my hand when I offered it (he had a limp handshake also - a personal dislike). I even complemented his car. It was then he said it was "only" a Mustang GT - and he said he drove all the way from Ashville, Ohio - like that meant something.

I think the difference came down to a lighter car with better handling won the day. The 951 is no drag car, but add in some turns and the scales even-out. Once I got on boost, I had him. You can plainly see that I pull him by a carlength down the backstretch. He catches-up going in to turn 3 but goes wide. He complained that I cut him off coming out of turn four and he had to let off. The video doesn't really justify this, but I replied, "of course I did - this is racing!"

Chip
"King of the Parking Lot Drags"
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by billthe3
SVO? Sweeeeet. Nothing like a turbo 2.3liter mustang.

For those that don't know, the original svt mustangs were called svo mustangs, and they were turbocharged 4bangers until the late eighties. It is the american 951.
http://www.mustangsvo.org/svostory.htm

Bill, you are just a baby, back in 1983 I had a 83 VW scirocco wolfsburg edition and and a friend had one of those mustang svo we had a small contest and I was quicker off the line , he couldn't believe that a 4cyl with 117hp spanked his mustang svo, it was a matter of weight.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chipster
I just had to jump in here.

First let me get the story straight. I don't know what video Dan87951 is talking about, but the video of the 944T spanking the Mustang on the circle track is not his Porsche.
Chip
"King of the Parking Lot Drags"
Hi Chip, he is talking about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7Eb3jcMDs

Nice that you dropped by and let usknow the story behind the 1st video.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
DarkGrey
Instructor

"After the race, the dude was a sore loser. First he parked his car in the "winners circle" - so I parked in front of him - and he didn't want to shake my hand when I offered it (he had a limp handshake also - a personal dislike). I even complemented his car. It was then he said it was "only" a Mustang GT - and he said he drove all the way from Ashville, Ohio - like that meant something."

At risk of supporting the idea behind this thread, that mustang driver you beat sounds a lot like my tuner-buddy: who just happens to own a mustang.

Now I'm not one to be paranoid or gloat, (no really, I'm not!) but he's been amusingly threatened by my 944 since day one. He's always comparing the two cars, (thats like comparing apples to oranges) going on abt 1/4 mile times, top speeds and all the hardcore engine mods he's got planned. Aside from a few minute upgrades I've done while rebuilding my motor (a luxury he hasn't had..yet) both our cars are bone stock which in his eyes makes our 'rivalry' even more heated.

I'm sorry guys but...what do mustang owners have to prove? Is it the history and tradition of mustang stop-light racing that their trying to uphold? (Yea, he's big on that too.) Or do they feel bloated with power because people (I'm talking abt the average person lol) simply EXPECTS the mustang to go like stink?

I gotta admit I feel happy inside whenever I mention the age of my car and he gets all defensive. Its good to know that my 20 yr old 4-banger can get the 'stang owners nervous
Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Lart,

Oops - you're right - different video.

That's impressive.

Chip
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Yeah but still the Porsche is at least 15 years old LOL, that speaks for itself. Let get a 15 to 20 year old mustang to run with it. Oh yeah, that would be pretty impossible as most of them are in the junk yard.

NICE.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
I do agree with that and as a matter of fact Mustangs can be made faster than a 951 in a straight line of course.
Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Well I do know of a couple of Mustangs with lap times at Road America the GTO 951's could not even beat.
I Think Tommy Kendall was the driver
Originally Posted by lart951
^
l
l
l
l
Maybe that's why.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 05-01-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to say that I love mustangs specifically the 1992 Notch. You might ask why? My answer is simple they are the cheapest cars to make fast in almost any type of racing.

Quick Reply: HAHAHA stupid mustangs