Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First autocross tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007 | 10:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by pjburges
Has anyone ever had problems running an event on alloy lug-nuts? I am about to possibly run an event as well and this is one of the things im worried about.

No no issues. I ran alot of track and autocross days on alloy lug nuts. The reason racers switch is all the on and off of wheels. (easily 2-4 times a weekend) is tough on soft aluminium.
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:26 PM
tk's944
Pro

Do you guys run with all windows up or windows down and sunroof out
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:34 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Windows down so if a corner worker yells at you you can hear.
Plus its hot as hell down here, so they gotta be open :P
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:34 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Windows down for sure, but sunroof depends on the organization. I would leave it in personally...not that you could really do this at an auto-x, but you don't want your arms flying out an open the sunroom opening in a roll-over.
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:38 PM
indefactorX
Racer

Eat lots of pasta, Trust me on this ok...
Old 04-21-2007 | 07:09 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

I ran my first autocross just a couple of weekends ago. It was fun. My times were in the 46 - 49 second range. The FTD was in the 39+ second range. My tires, front and back, were inflated to 40 psi. This is what my research suggested.

Being very aggressive on the course, I drifted through some of the turns, once I got familiar with the course. Having fun, of course. Being there was only one lady running in the ladies group, I convinced Becca to drive the 944, thus giving Sadie some competition. Becca took it easy, not wanting to "break" my car. Her best time beat my best time.

We had a trial run through the course, prior to the first timed run. What I found out was during this trial run, I was following the car in front on me, and not paying attention to the course. So, this trial run did very little in course familiarization. If you do get a chance to do a trial drive, be either first or last, or let the car in front of you get around a turn or two, so you are watching the course not following the car in front of you.

You might want to bring a chair. Also, if your driving shoes are not comfortable, with good soles, bring an extra pair. You might be working a corner, standing on the asphalt/concrete for an hour or so.

There is a thread in Perf. & Comp. /Autocross titled "Does anyone here autocross" . Lots of good info there too.

Have fun and ask a friend take a picture or two.
Old 04-21-2007 | 09:26 AM
Z-man
Race Director

1. Have fun.
2. Try not to complicate things.
3. Have fun.

Bring: food, drink, chair, umbrella, helmet, sun tan lotion, a willingness to learn and have fun.

Do NOT bring: Ego, street racer attitude, your worried mother.

If you're a numbers guy, I do suggest that you write down your times for each run and keep track of this and future AX events. (If you really want to see an overly complicated spreadsheet full of useless statistics of my autocrosses, Click here. I have found that tracking what percentile I am in vs. the whole pack is the best way to see how I'm doing. After a while, you'll see who the front-runners are in your region/club. Keep an eye on them - watch what they do, and if possible, go for rides with them, or have them ride with you. You'll find that most AX-ers are willing to share their secrets with you.

Oh, did I mention -- have fun?!? Nothing worse than getting frustrated or mad at yourself or others at an AX. Been there, done that - no good.

Be sure to report back on how you did. A silly ear-to-ear grin is normal after a first event, so wear that smile proudly.

One final warning -- this stuff is about as addictive as crystal meth. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

-Z-man.
Old 04-21-2007 | 09:44 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z-man
1. Have fun.
2. Try not to complicate things.
3. Have fun.

Bring: food, drink, chair, umbrella, helmet, sun tan lotion, a willingness to learn and have fun.

Do NOT bring: Ego, street racer attitude, your worried mother.

If you're a numbers guy, I do suggest that you write down your times for each run and keep track of this and future AX events. (If you really want to see an overly complicated spreadsheet full of useless statistics of my autocrosses, Click here. I have found that tracking what percentile I am in vs. the whole pack is the best way to see how I'm doing. After a while, you'll see who the front-runners are in your region/club. Keep an eye on them - watch what they do, and if possible, go for rides with them, or have them ride with you. You'll find that most AX-ers are willing to share their secrets with you.

Oh, did I mention -- have fun?!? Nothing worse than getting frustrated or mad at yourself or others at an AX. Been there, done that - no good.

Be sure to report back on how you did. A silly ear-to-ear grin is normal after a first event, so wear that smile proudly.

One final warning -- this stuff is about as addictive as crystal meth. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

-Z-man.
Food is a Jersey thing. We have a coffee truck ha ha!!!!

Actually that might be some good info for you guys for the Metro/NNJR Challenge 5/19.
Old 04-21-2007 | 10:22 AM
tomrc
Pro

I autoX with my sunroof off unless it's raining, only because I fit better with a helmet on. Like everyone else said go to have fun and not to prove yourself. The first time I ever autoX'ed I could hear the crowd yelling to step on the gas and I thought I was going as fast as I could, I think I wound up close to last place. I had a stupid grin on for weeks after that. I've been hooked since though. I'm going on 8 years now and the 2nd year in the 944, I still have the stupid grin after an event.
Old 04-21-2007 | 10:46 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

It's all been said but I have to stress Sun Screen. You will be on the pavement all day...nothing worse than having a fun day spoiled by a bad burn. Enjoy it and just have fun. Potomac is having our first autocross of the season on Sunday as well.
Old 04-21-2007 | 11:07 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

I hate u guys, I want to autox soooo bad. There just isnt any in my area at all. I would need to drive a few hours to get to the nearest one.

Quick Reply: First autocross tips