Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007 | 12:44 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Exclamation 944 fuel problem

Now, know it's definitely a FUEL issue, because it's flooding the pistons. The sparkplugs are all wet, and this is the 3rd set (Porsche dealership said that the plugs would fix it - they must've been schmokin' something heavy on duty). I ran across a retired mechanic, who lives a few doors down, working on German Cars for fun. When I started her up for him, you could suddenly smell the fuel, and he was so startled, he dumped his cigarette on the ground, and put it out. He's going to connect his equipment, and check for resistance, etc., and hopefully help me find out what's going on. I personally wonder if it isn't the DME computer, not chip; hopefully, we can even determine that.

I'm running out of time, it's Smog Check time again, this month.

What's been replaced:

FPR
DME chip
waterpump
timing belt
balance belt

Also, have previously checked the resistance on the AFM, it was fine - if you do know of that Independent Porsche Repair place in Santa Ana, please give me that number.

- Julie
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:46 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

look into possible leaking injectors?
Old 04-11-2007 | 01:19 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Or leaking fuel lines in general, if you can smell the fuel that much.
Old 04-11-2007 | 01:23 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Definitely the lines would be the first thing I'd check. Lines and the tank itself.

Maybe lay some newspapers or something under the car and see if something drips. Watch they don't catch fire, tho!
Old 04-25-2007 | 01:27 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Default Car appears to be running...hope, hope, hope

Sooo, finally my neighbor was free last night, and he brought over his ignition controller, and we hooked it up to my car - and after clearing the pistons, she
was running, albeit rough!

We looked everything over, and then I made a comment that I'd replaced the FPR, and the Dampener a few years ago...I looked at it, and at him, and said, "But, it was a used one."

Unplugged the vacuum lines to both above items, and felt the vacuum. One to the FPR felt fine, but the one off the Dampener was pulsing. So, I plugged it with a screw, and she leveled out - runs normal now.

Guess I need to buy a new Dampener this week - don't think I'll be putting used parts on my car anymore.

In essence, took a retired Mercedes mechanic to diagnose my car!
How Porsche didn't catch this - well, I'm seriously contemplating telling them to give me one, or I'll file against them, with - what is it called, for complaints against Mechanics?

I either want my money back from Porsche, or that part.

But I'm going to wait until tomorrow, after driving her around.

- Julie

Quick Reply: 944 fuel problem