Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I consolidate the fleet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Should I consolidate the fleet?

Had a thought last night. Give me your opinions please.

Right now I have an 88 951 set up for DEs, a 90 S2 stock, 99 Miata stock, and the 98 Corolla just given to me.

The house is in contract, I transfer title in about a month and a half. The house we are renting for the time being has a one car garage. If we stay in NY the house we buy will probably have a one car garage. The house I am selling has a two car garage.

If we move to Michigan the house we buy will have a two or three car garage, but the S2 as a daily driver........ not PC in my opinion.

My thoughts are sell the S2 say $10k, sell the turbo say $10k, sell the miata say $8k, take the money i would spend on a lift if i get a one car garage say $2k and what have i got? $30k.

If i use the corolla for a station car, I can get a 996 coupe, or 993 convertible, or Boxster S or........

I like variety, and it is easy to have variety with a two car garage, but if i move to Michigan, a Porsche in the office parking lot as a DD would not go over too well.

Well, anyone have any constructive thoughts about the sanity of the idea, and thoughts about what to spend 25-30k on?

Johnny, this epiphany is part of the reason I didn't get back to you as I should have.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Exactly where do you work that they'd actively not want to see a Porsche DD in the lot??? You going to be clocking in at a UAW hall or something?

Really, it's not that bad here... and frankly, if that's really the case, I'd be more concerned about driving a rice-burner in than a brat-burner!!!

Moving near the Detroit area?? Do stop in and say hi... and enjoy your house-shopping, no-one else here is buying!!! (I should know, my house has been up for a while, but then so's everyone else's)
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Exactly where do you work that they'd actively not want to see a Porsche DD in the lot??? You going to be clocking in at a UAW hall or something?

Really, it's not that bad here... and frankly, if that's really the case, I'd be more concerned about driving a rice-burner in than a brat-burner!!!

Moving near the Detroit area?? Do stop in and say hi... and enjoy your house-shopping, no-one else here is buying!!! (I should know, my house has been up for a while, but then so's everyone else's)
If i get the job the office is in downtown on michigan ave by the people mover. I was there one afternoon for the interview last month.

i drove by a bunch of houses in the bloomfields before my flight back. i liked what I saw. i dont think a S2 would do well as a DD in the winter, or with the neighbors whose jobs are on the line, do you?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Had a thought last night. Give me your opinions please.

Right now I have an 88 951 set up for DEs, a 90 S2 stock, 99 Miata stock, and the 98 Corolla just given to me.

My thoughts are sell the S2 say $10k, sell the turbo say $10k, sell the miata say $8k, take the money i would spend on a lift if i get a one car garage say $2k and what have i got? $30k.

If i use the corolla for a station car, I can get a 996 coupe, or 993 convertible, or Boxster S or........

I like variety, and it is easy to have variety with a two car garage, but if i move to Michigan, a Porsche in the office parking lot as a DD would not go over too well.

Well, anyone have any constructive thoughts about the sanity of the idea, and thoughts about what to spend 25-30k on?

I thought you said cars that don't have a lot of value are junk!? Why keep the Corolla then???

Whatever makes you happy, and whatever is more responsible is what you should do. If you want a 996 Coupe, then do exactly what you were saying.

I like Porsches a lot, but in my honest opinion, there are many cars that would destroy a Porsche 996 in handling and performance, for significantly cheaper.

If it were me, and I was in your situation, I would probably sell the 88 951, and the 99 Miata, and then I would keep the S2 in the garage, and use your Corolla as a daily driver. With the money I got back from selling those cars, I would invest it in one way or another... either mutual funds, or maybe just put it in a high yield money market account. Or... I'd use it to improve the house.

Where I live in South Florida, 996 Porsches are about as common as F-150s are in Dallas Texas. I mean, they are everywhere... so seeing one really doesn't do anything for me at all. The S2 though, is a signficantly more unique car (in my eyes), than a newer Porsche. Although it might not have ******** bursting torque and acceleration, it's still a very quick car (high 14s?).

I don't know if I could survive with a Corolla as my daily driver. I don't need to have something flashy to drive around in, but man... Corollas are just so uncomfortable. Maybe you could get something like a Chevy Malibu, or a Honda Accord or something like that as your DD.

That's just me though...

With that extra money you'd have, you could install the HouseWall Garage system in your garage, and put U-Coat-It on the floor and really make that garage look nice for your S2.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom if i were you, i would keep the 951 as the track and weekend toy. Sell the Miata and the S2 and keep the Corolla as the commuter. If you can live with a 993 or 996, i say go for it. I would say not to get a Boxster as you may want the back seat for your daughter.

Better yet, sell me the 951... Well maybe in a year when i have the money.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a 4S and put snows on her in the winter. My best friend moved from FL to MI and sold her SC430. I told her to put a winter on it before she did and now she regrets the sale. Mi has ****ty roads, but they're pretty good about keeping them plowed.

BTW - I may be moving to Okemos (east of Lansing) next month, it'd be great to meet you!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Skip 996, buy 993. Sell all but Miata.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Get a 4S and put snows on her in the winter. My best friend moved from FL to MI and sold her SC430. I told her to put a winter on it before she did and now she regrets the sale. Mi has ****ty roads, but they're pretty good about keeping them plowed.

BTW - I may be moving to Okemos (east of Lansing) next month, it'd be great to meet you!

If your friend lived in Tallahassee, that probably explains why she felt the need to move. It's a shame that she didn't live in Gainesville otherwise she probably would have wanted to stay in Florida.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

Tom,

-Sounds as if you already know what to do or at least what you want to do. You just might be looking for affirmation or validation. Decisions are a lot easier when someone else agrees with you. Whatever the case, it sounds as if it's a case of either doing what you want or doing the so-called right thing. Based upon the number of cars that you already have, I would say go ahead and do again what you want. It hasn't failed you up until now. Get the 996 coupe or Targa. Sell everything else but the Miata. Keep it as a DD.

JMO

Terry
Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Little Porsche Boy
Tom,

-Sounds as if you already know what to do or at least what you want to do. You just might be looking for affirmation or validation. Decisions are a lot easier when someone else agrees with you. Whatever the case, it sounds as if it's a case of either doing what you want or doing the so-called right thing. Based upon the number of cars that you already have, I would say go ahead and do again what you want. It hasn't failed you up until now. Get the 996 coupe or Targa. Sell everything else but the Miata. Keep it as a DD.

JMO

Terry

Maybe it's just me, but if the only thing I owned were sports cars, it would be pretty stressful. At least for me, it's nice to have something you can relax in. Like for me, the 2002 Crown Victoria LX is just awesome. It's got a massive leather couch as a front seat (huge bench seat), it has plenty of low-end torque so that I can just glide through an intersection from a dead stop, and if I need to pass anyone, it runs high 14s in the quarter (but you don't hear anything).
Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Sell the turbo, Sell the S2, sell the Miata all before you move. Buy a 996 or 993, bring it to Pocono. I'll blow my motor and we can share it the next day!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Definitely keep a car for the track - we're littered with racetracks here! Wateford Hills is our home track, just up the road in Clarkston, near Pontiac. Mid-O, Gingerman, and Grattan are all 2.5hrs away.

You may prefer to have a beater (known around here as a hooptie!) for the winter commute and safe parking downtown.

Sounds like you needed to spend more time here in the area, getting a feel for the suburbs rather than downtown. HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY FRIGGIN LEXUSES THERE ARE HERE??? This isn't the Detroit of the 80's, trust me. I live in Royal Oak, right by Birmingham... we only have one domestic, my Chrysler minivan tow vehicle. I have 3 Porsches and my wife's DD is a WRX. I work for a German company (yes, THAT one - Bosch). Our lot is littered with Audis, Bimmers, etc all summer. Nissan R+D is next door to us (in Farmington Hills) - the drive in is littered with Nissans and Infinitis. Toyota is over in Ann Arbor. Plenty of Bimmers and Mercs around too. It's nice, Porsches aren't so common as other areas, but still not an oddity by any means.

Plus there's a SE Michigan institution we shall have to introduce you to... it's called a "pole barn" and is a car junky's answer to too many cars, not enough garage. They usually will fit anywhere from 4-8 cars, usually heated/insulated, concrete floor, often air as well as electrical, etc.

Bottom line, dude, if you do end up moving here, do what you want with the cars. May not want to move all of them, but then again why not? I think you need the following plan, really, dude:
951 track car - bring it and plan to put some miles on it!!!
S2 DD - perfect for cruising in to work and enjoying the summer in
Corolla - winter commuter - it's free, perfect tool for the job!
Miata - when you're tired of just turning laps and ready to join the fun, slap a cage in that puppy and join the ranks of the Spec Miatas!

If anything, I suspect the 951 would be the first car to sell. The S2 would be OK in winter with decent tires - there's no hills here to worry about climbing! - but I wouldn't trust other drivers (especially not in tha' Hood) to keep it straight, not to mention salting. So the Corolla's perfect for that kind of abuse. And Miatas in good shape are a little difficult to find out here, they're so popular for Spec racing! So might as well bring it with...

Hope that helps...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Nothing to add, other than to express my amazement that people are actually moving to Michigan!

OTOH, there might be free iPods for the kids...

and I have to say, I've contemplated moving back to Kalamazoo for the free college tuition...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Nothing to add, other than to express my amazement that people are actually moving to Michigan!

OTOH, there might be free iPods for the kids...

and I have to say, I've contemplated moving back to Kalamazoo for the free college tuition...
seconded, 1 more year will decide if i can stay or leave
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would listen to 924racer, he actual lives there. On another note, it sounds like michigan is not the place to be moving to. It sounds like everyone who lives there wants out.

Quick Reply: Should I consolidate the fleet?