Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone dial questions: Painting and what to do with the other set...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Great thread here as I am in the same boat as BB with redoing a set of track wheels. I had also heard that the powder coating is not good for the wheel. I am happy to hear otherwise from a knowledgable person. Jesse, what is the cost to PC a set of Cup II's. If not too expensive, I may explore that option further.
i normally charge about $300 for a solid color....2 tone like mine quite a bit more, but it is so much better than spray can paint, IMO.... what do you think?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:43 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Great thread here as I am in the same boat as BB with redoing a set of track wheels. I had also heard that the powder coating is not good for the wheel. I am happy to hear otherwise from a knowledgable person. Jesse, what is the cost to PC a set of Cup II's. If not too expensive, I may explore that option further.
Why would powder coating harm a wheel? The furnace used for powder coating doesn't get high enough to change crystal structure of the alloy, and it's certainly not in the oven for long enough to cause any sort of diffusion in the metal. You'll be fine.

Think about it this way: engines get to higher temps than the powdercoating furnace, and there are no changes in macrostructure to the aluminum. No worries.

^^ BTW your wheels look pretty wicked...wonder how 16" phones would look w/ that scheme.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default powdercoating colors

What range of colors is available for powdercoating? Is it limited to solids, or can you do metallics as well?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

"...clean it up real nice and lay a piece of glass over it as a coffee table."

Thats funny, thinking about the coffee table. I had the same thing once. It got moved the back shelf of the garage, like 2 weeks after I got married. In June, that will have been 30 years ago.

If you're serious though, you can get the glass at Pier 1....Bruce
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

In some old threads, I remember reading that how much harm may be done depends on whether the wheels are forged or cast.
Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Secondly, I have an old set of phone dials laying around that I was going to use for track wheels but no longer need to because of Question #1.
Keep two -- and use them to rotate in new set of rubber, or as spare track tires. Where I am, R-compounds are often out-of-stock, or hard to come by -- so it would be nice to already have the next set of tires ready to go.

Quick Reply: Phone dial questions: Painting and what to do with the other set...