Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch... just talked to Paragon. New camber plate design = now $440!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007 | 12:41 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Trucho-951
I drive around town with -3 deg of camber all the time. It's not the neg camber that wears out the inside of your tires, it's the toe out setting. The main problem with neg camber for street driving is that is affects the scrub radius and hence potholes, ruts and other street imperfections are felt more at the steering wheel.

That's why when I plan to take a long trip, I will take the extra 30 minutes to reset my camber.

That's just not true.
Old 04-06-2007 | 01:36 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

That was just street driving while I was on a road trip over the summer
Old 04-06-2007 | 02:55 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schwank
They updated their camber plates with a new design that rides on top of the shock tower, and as such does not modify ride height. Nice and all, but the price went up from $300 or so to almost $450. And then to find out the Racer's Edge ones are still recommended at $500.
As you indicated, the new design has gone up in price - primarily due to the increase in material needed for the new design. And, as mentioned, the new design puts the spring back where it's supposed to be. The real benefit here is the strut no longer loses the 1" of stroke it did with the original design. That can make a big difference when you're lowering and tracking the car. I will point out that the new GC design does not allow conventional mounting of a standard strut brace. For that, there will be a new design strut brace mount coming - date is TBD. The Racer's Edge units are simply the best choice at this time.

GC type:

RE type:

Last edited by Skip; 04-06-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2007 | 09:29 PM
r1moto
Instructor

In fact I do drive very hard. Those who have been on drives with me (FRporsheman, Andial951, Chris Lucket) will attest to that. When cornering hard there is very little weight in the inside wheel or on the inside part of the outside tire, I hope that makes sense. I use BF Goodrich SP tires BTW.
Old 04-07-2007 | 01:20 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Ahh more carnage from the carnage king. Those tires are seriously spent!
Old 04-07-2007 | 01:39 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
That's just not true.
oh, really, why?
Old 04-07-2007 | 07:53 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not the neg camber that wears out the inside of your tires, it's the toe out setting.
Originally Posted by iloveporsches
That's just not true.
oh, really, why?
Negative camber on an otherwise street car (street tires) with standard wheel/tire sizes (not super-low profile) and stable proper inflation should not create a huge difference (referencing picture) to inside wear. The horizontal plane of a standard profile properly inflated tire should level with the road surface. It takes a combination of factors create such excessive and unequal wear. A contributing factor would be excessive negative camber (-3 degrees on a street car *is* excessive). Higher contributing factors to tire wear overall are over/under inflation and improper alignment (excessive toe in/out). If I were to present this tire to a person in the field of knowing, I bet they would indicate the faults are excessive toe, excessive camber, over-inflation and also lack of rotation.

Many late model cars running super-low profile tires (e.g. 35) have excessively rigid sidewalls. Even with proper inflation, some cars with greater negative camber (including the rears of many modern sports cars like Corvette, G35/350Z, etc) will certainly experience greater inside tire degradation because the sidewall keeps the shape from levelling with the road surface. If excessive toe were introduced, this would certainly exacerbate the problem.

IMHO, any answer is correct - all are contributors. However, in order of predominance and commonness:

1. over/underinflation
2. excessive toe in/out
3. excessive camber

Quick Reply: Ouch... just talked to Paragon. New camber plate design = now $440!