Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible origins of front wheel slop

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default possible origins of front wheel slop

I have been heckled by my autocross tech about my front wheels having slop in them. He is a bigger guy than me and for the life of me 90% of the time when I shake the wheels I can't feel a thing. The passenger side ball joint is questionable; I had my mechanic rebuild both sides with the rennbay kit and the passenger side jumped out pretty quickly. He said that that side was "much easier to install," and although thanks to Travis helping me out we have since rebuilt it, it is still questionable whether or not the arm is still any good.

My suspension bushings are decently worn.

The wheel bearings have just been repacked and if anything were a bit tight when I checked and adjusted them via the screwdriver method. Up on a jack, side to side wheel play turned the steering wheel a bit, but it didn't seem like slop. I have new wheel bearings that have yet to be installed. What are other possibilities? Tie rods or something?

I wanna get this figured out. The tech is on the lookout for me now and I don't want to make him nervous, nor do I want to blow anything up.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the steering universal rod that connects to the steering rack, located below the power steering booster. Have someone move steering wheel back/forth and watch for loose joints.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could imagine tie rods playing a large role in it wandering but not as much in steering wheel slop... but take a look in to them anyways, other than that all i can think is maybe the steering rack. Wish I could be of more help.

Greg
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

To clarify, the steering wheel feels very solid when driving. It's just when the tech shakes the front wheels to check the wheel bearing adjustments that he isn't happy because it has a bit of motion.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try adjusting the front wheel bearings by following the directions on clarks-garage.com
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even with new bearings/races, mine always had a little play (several mm) when you push/pull on the wheel. If you're certain that you've ruled out other suspension parts as being the culprit, then the other possibilities could be : normal clearance/play in bearings; worn bearings/races (you said you "repacked them," not "replaced" them); worn hubs where the bearing races come in contact with the hub; worn areas in the axle spindles...but the latter two would probably cause "shakes" in the steering wheel. Try over-tightening your bearings, then check for the slop again. If still present, then I'd be suspicious of the hub/bearings/axle spindles.. Remember to only push/pull on the wheel straight out on the axle so as not to move other parts of the suspension (ball joints, ties,etc.)
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

The front bushing on the control arm can be a culprit too. Check to see if there is motion of the control arm relative to the crossmember with the car jacked up.

Quick Reply: possible origins of front wheel slop