Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to remove my intake manifold and looking to get turbo rebuilt HELP MUCH NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default need to remove my intake manifold and looking to get turbo rebuilt HELP MUCH NEEDED

okay so i have been trying to get my new lindsey 3 inch exhaust on these past days and i decided i wanted to do it the right way. heres what happened one of the bolts on the downpipe cracked so i need to replace it. i called a couple shops and they said the easiest thing would be to take the intake manifold off and remove the turbo. so im up for the job but i would like to know if its easy or how long its gonna take me???? also while im in there i would like to get the turbo rebuilt. do you know of any good turbo rebuilders the only one i know of from my 5 mintues of research is lindsey. any suggestions for placed to get a good rebuild done.

thanks as always
chris
Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turboperformance in California rebuilt my turbo pretty quickly. Can't speak to the quality yet, but it seemed fine.

Expect to spend 7-8 hours or so (hopefully less) if you've never removed the turbo before. Intake manifold has to come off, a few water hoses have to be moved out of the way, a couple heat shields, and you're at the turbo/downpipe with plenty of room around it to work. May also want to replace the o-rings on the Air/Oil separator as long as you have the downpipe and turbo out. It's the only time you'll be able to get at them and they do degrade with time.

As usual, replace any hardware and seals that you can.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

bump
Old 03-29-2007, 05:16 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to disconnet the steering shaft on my car to get enough clearance for the turbo mount bolts. That was a pita just because the shaft and completely rusted over (I was pouding at it for a good 10-15min before it finally came off). And to get enough room to pull the steering shaft I had to unmount the steering rack, ac compressor and power steering pump, but those don't take too much time (and are probably un-neccesary if you know what you are doing).

Quick Reply: need to remove my intake manifold and looking to get turbo rebuilt HELP MUCH NEEDED