Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Housing bore to tight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam Housing bore to tight?

Noticed when inserting the lifters into the cam housing that some appeared not to be going up and freely when the cam was turned.
One appeared not to more at all so I pushed reel hard and it popped down onto the cam It does not appear to move freely up and down like the others.

I have installed the cam housing onto the engine all of the valves open and close properly but I hear a persistent metallic clicking noise.

My questions
Should I be concerned that some of the lifters don’t move freely up and down when installed?
Clicking noises of concern?
Will the cam bores expand slightly due to heat?

Thank you in advance for your comments suggestions.

Regards,

-BB
Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I had an spare motor with a newly done rebuild. The belt had snapped and bent 4 intake valves. All the lifters and bores were smooth enough you could shave in the reflection. One lifter bore would allow the lifter to only go so far and then bind. I couldn't see anything at all and it did it with any lifter in that bore. Turns out there was a very slight ridge at the base of the bore. A piece of very fine emory cloth was enough to remove it. If you do repair it, make sure you smooth the area again with some type of fine polish like valve lapping compound. I assume the bad bore was the result of a belt failure or a sticking lifter. The top of that one lifter showed some cam wear also but nothing scary. I never got to hear the motor run though as I sold the head and cam tower later. My feelings are any binding lifter bore should be repaired at home if you can or honed at a shop.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you lube them well before putting them in? i just put my lifters into a new cam housing, and most of them were pretty free, and one or two didnt slide very fast with their own weight... but im not too concerned by it. the valve spring will keep pushing it up, and the cam will keep pushing it down.

clicking is most likely due to lifters not being primed with oil, this can take up to 20minutes or longer after the engine is running for them to be properly primed. i soaked mine in oil this time until i was ready to put them in, but it will still be 7-10 before i try to fire, i expect some clicking.

Quick Reply: Cam Housing bore to tight?