Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fuel pump wiring

I got the car back together after replacing the clutch and it ran great for a day before dying on the road. Seems I'm blowing fuel pump fuses. Pump seems fine, but the power wire seems to be shorted to ground. My first thought was that I pinched the wire when putting the transaxle back in, but there is no outward obvious sign of damage. So my question. Is anyone familiar with the fuel pump wiring from the pump back to the fuse box? It disappears over the pump. I'd like to trace it or get access to it along the trail for testing. Does it connect or is it solid back to the fuse box? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the power connector and wires to the O2 sensor heater is clear -- not pinched and shorted out. Fuel pump circuit provides power to it.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
redmund
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From digging around in my 924S, the wiring goes into the cabin above the fuel pump, runs across the back of the trunk, behind the top of the rear seat. you should be able to get to it under the carpet with the seat folded down. it then disappears again on the left side of the car. My PO had cut the wiring just before it disappeared on the left. I had a right job trying to dig it out afterwards :/
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Driver
Check that the power connector and wires to the O2 sensor heater is clear -- not pinched and shorted out. Fuel pump circuit provides power to it.
Bingo! You were right on target. Disconnect the O2, put a new fuse in, and it starts right up. So the wires either got twisted off when installing the sensor or too close to the exhaust (which is mighty easy). I'll jack up the front tomorrow and figure out the problem. Thanks. And thanks to Redmund for tracking the wires down. It is appropriate that post 944 will be thanks for help from the forum.

Quick Reply: fuel pump wiring