Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

okay so my quarter window still leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default okay so my quarter window still leaks?

My last thread I was looking for water leaks wetting my back seat and under my carpet filling up.

I now found that the water is not falling from the roof because the wetest parts are under the carpet close to the quarter pannel (the insulation close to the seat belt area was soaked.)

so I sealed both quarter windows the part that touches the glass, I lifted it up and applied some silicon to seal it and now yesterday it started raining again and now it's definately wetter again in the car.

the insulation is soaked again and much wetter than it was before.

I also pulled back teh quarter panel interior piece that covers the seatbelt / speaker and I can feel wetness in there so I'm pretty sure water is travelling down there and getting into the rear seat and insulation.

but now I have sealed the quarter window (where it touches the glass). Is it likely that the part that touches the body is leaking ?

and the other thing I thought is that maybe the sunroof is in fact leaking and water is seeping under the vinyl and into the speaker area and the rear footwell area.

but I have some of the vinyl from the roof partiall removed and I don't see that area being wet.

so what should I do now? I couldn't get the quarter window to come out and I thought just sealing it where it touches the glass should fix the leak.

when I hae time I will remove the back seat , the front seats, teh carpet and the interior trim and spray a hose on there and that should make it clear where it's coming in but I don't have time for this until the end of april when I get out of school.

I guess for now it's time to cover it again. I was pretty sure that I fixed the leak but I guess not.

the quarter window seems really difficult to remove.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:25 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the seal wraps around the glass i HIGHLY doubt sealing around the glass would help, thats why tom said go up under the seal.

so yes, where it is touching the body
Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

on the right side I did lift the seal and apply silicone to it between teh seal and the glass so I guess if it leaks it leaks on the outer part of the seal touching the body.

I guess the window needs to come out and the seal replaced or maybe it's not the window leaking but might as well try it.

the thing is I'm not sure how to get the window to come out. looks like it needs a ton of forces to get to pop out, i don't want ot break it.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also how do you remove the back seat? where does it bolt on?

I will also have rip out all the wet insulation and through it out and i'm not sure if I should buy some new insulation or if it'll be okay without the insulation.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

if you have that metal trim out (not like it really matters) from the inside of the car, push at a corner, lift the seal while pushing and just work at it, it will come out, its tempered glass, so i doubt you will break it by putting even pressure trying to get it out, and if you do, they are cheap on ebay
Old 03-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I tried pushing on the edges but it's in there really tight obviously. yeah the glass is cheap to replace but if I cut myself I'll need a new hand.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

push harder then from the lower corner closest to the rear of the car... if it breaks it breaks in tons of tiny little pieces, cuts would be cat scratches
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I usually find a couple dull straight screwdrivers with a larger sized tips and get inside the car. I then use the screwdrivers to pull up the edges of the window seal where the seal contacts the vinyl interior panel and push out on the glass. I work the seal a bit at a time while putting pressure on the glass with the other hand. If you work around the seal, pulling it away from the interior panel/metal while shoving on the glass with some pressure then it will work loose. I usually start from the lowest rear corner and work over and up to the end of the glass that is closest to the door. Work carefully and dont jam the screwdriver between the glass and the seal. Also when it is more than 1/3 out from the car, have someone on the outside to catch the glass so it doesnt hit the ground. The edge of the seal nearest the door has a kind of channel in it that will cause you to have to pry the glass and seal outward to disconnect it from the car

Work slow and easy or else you could put your hand through the glass. I have however pushed pretty hard on the glass many times without it breaking. I have pulled at least 6 rear quarter windows. Maybe wear some gloves.

I really dont think sealant will help, unless the rubber seal is torn I would think taking the glass out and putting it back in will cause it to seal back to the body.

Quick Reply: okay so my quarter window still leaks?