Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding power steering leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:38 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding power steering leaks

After changing the radiator out yesterday I realized my power steering leak is a little worse than I had originally thought. There was a decent collection of drippings under the car and the underside is coated in the stuff. The passenger side boot for the rack is covered in fluid, and there were drips coming off the strut that tensions the PS pump. How do I go about finding where the leaks are? Im not too big on just replacing parts that might be bad. Thanks!!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:50 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Silverman
The passenger side boot for the rack is covered in fluid,
This indicates to me as the rack as the main suspect. If you pull back the boot, do you get more fluid? If so, then the rack is bad.

Another common one is the fluid reservoir. Any fluid underneath it? Ideally, it should be dry.

And then, there's the high pressure line and the pump.....
Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lat week i fiddled with the power steering hose clamps under the resevoir. This week i noticed a huge leak on the underside of the car. My frame rail has always been a little 'wet', it was completley soaked last week. The front of the control arm, cross member..etc.

I changed the 20+ year old clamps with proper sized Norma worm drive clamps and the leak has stopped so far. I do not recommend using regular screw type band clamps as they will cut into the hose over time. Get t-bolt clamps or the worm drive Norma type (OEM style). I could not find proper size t-bolt clamps locally, all of the generic fuel line sizes are to small. You may be able to find some tiny ones at a WestMarine or other boating type store in the exhaust section (or just ask for t-bolt clamps).

Quick Reply: Finding power steering leaks