Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leaks in car, now moldy, pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good, I'll look tomorrow , not sure which part lifts up I haven't really looked at the quarter window.

I hope this is it as I'm still skeptical that the quarter window can flood the inside this bad get all over the back seat.

also what do you mean by urethane? is it just called urethan? I'll go look at canadian tire tomorrow. I already have a caulking gun. I guess you can't use silicone sealant.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
sounds good, I'll look tomorrow , not sure which part lifts up I haven't really looked at the quarter window.

I hope this is it as I'm still skeptical that the quarter window can flood the inside this bad get all over the back seat.

also what do you mean by urethane? is it just called urethan? I'll go look at canadian tire tomorrow. I already have a caulking gun. I guess you can't use silicone sealant.
I was skeptical too. This is the before picture. The water did not come in through the hatch, the tubes, the gas door grommet, the sunroof seal, or the door, or the battery box. this is where your butt goes if you are in the back. this is where the mold is groing big time, big big time in your car right now

do not remove the window. you do not have to remove the window. is french the main languange in ghe Van area of Canada?

read what I wrote again. you can use a tube of silicone too. the experts say use urenthane instead of silicone since silicone may rot things over the next 20 years.

just pry the rubber back the slightest bit and put the sealant (urethane or silicone) in it. you dont need a caulking gun worth. safelite is a pro glass shop. they have use for large quantities. get a small tube of silicone or urethane and use that. get your socket wrenches out and get rid of the seat bottom. you wont get the smell out until that seat bottom is out of the car. trust me, been there, done that.

and dont bring the seat bottom into the house. i got in trouble with my wife for that one. i tried to dry it out by the heater.

also, a great killer of mold is oxy clean. oxygenated bleach. read the directions. some is probably by the washing machine. add it to a spay bottle, add water, shake and spray and spray and spray. also get a blow drier in there to dry things out.

the padding is toast. you will never get the smell out of that, but the carpet is saveable.
here is a picture of the tape
Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

haha no I don't even speak French.

I'll remove the back seat soon and leave it in the carport I guess until spring when I can use oxy clean or wehatever and leave it in the sun.

anyways thanks. I'll do this and see what happens.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it would be easier to apply the urethane (or silicone) with the window out, but that's just my opinion. Popping the window out is super easy - just remove the thin metal trim molding from outside, then push the whole window from the inside until it pops out. Putting it back in isn't that bad if you use the cord trick. Putting that metal trim molding back in is a biatch - I used a ton of armor-all to lube the area and help slip it back in.

Tom, should urethane also be applied to the outside part of the seal, where it contacts the body?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

that's what I was also wondering if you just seal the part that touches the glass. i would prefer to try and seal it up first without removing it.

good thing I covered the car now because it's raining pretty damn hard and it's going to be raining all weeks, non stop rain.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the idea is to plug the hole where the water is coming in from. if you pull the window and bend the rubber and put urethane in the crack then bend the rubber blah blah.

in a word NO. it is not easier to take out a window, fill a crack then put a window in than it is to fill a crack.

i did not have to do it where it meets the body. the rubber is big and water goes down. once i put that piece of tape on the car it worked.

oxy clean is a powder that boosts laundry detergents effectiveness. it is oxygenated bleach so it doesnt make colors run.

take the seat out before it spreads any more than it already has.

seal it up first withour removing the glass, take out the seat, spray an alcohol based chemical like lysol, then when that is dry spray an bleach based chemical like oxy clean that wont kill the color. remember not to mix your lyes and acids.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 AM
YIMEX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Have you had any luck with fixing this leak? If so, how?

I have a similar issue with my 1992 968 (damp/wet after prolonged rain, on the LHS rear seat and floor). Have changed the sunroof seal, and checked that the drainholes are clear. As far as I can see the rear quaterlight seals are OK, so I am going to change the tailgate seal next (this is about Euro 60.00 from Porsche over here in Europe). Incidentally does any glue/sealant need to be used when fitting the seal or can it be pushed-on dry (after cleaning the frame)?

Keith
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by YIMEX
Hi,

Have you had any luck with fixing this leak? If so, how?

I have a similar issue with my 1992 968 (damp/wet after prolonged rain, on the LHS rear seat and floor). Have changed the sunroof seal, and checked that the drainholes are clear. As far as I can see the rear quaterlight seals are OK, so I am going to change the tailgate seal next (this is about Euro 60.00 from Porsche over here in Europe). Incidentally does any glue/sealant need to be used when fitting the seal or can it be pushed-on dry (after cleaning the frame)?

Keith
Yes I have had luck fixing that leak, and i had the same symptoms. look at the picture a few posts up. put a piece of tape over your quarter window. leave it there a month or so. if the car no longer leaks you found your problem. if it still leaks remove the tape and then spend money on seals.

or, spend money on seals, and if it still leaks put a piece of tape over the quarter window. if it stops leaking you just wasted money on seals.

or, do what i did. I puta a piece of tape ove the quarter window after i taped the hatch which was before I drove an hour and a half to a friends house to trade hatches with him after i cleaned the sunroof drains, after i taped up the sunroof after i took apart the whole interiror, after.....
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM
flashgordon
Instructor

I now own the car Tom R had the leak repaired on and I can tell you that the leak is gone. I have washed the car and blasted the area with no water leaking at all. Try the solution that he is suggesting, as it is a quick and effective cure.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

One more thing that should help a little until you get the problem solved...

DampRid makes these containers that have dessicant pellets inside. The pellets soak up any water in the air and you wind up with a container full of water.

Should help to slow down the mold growth somewhat...

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'm pretty sure the quarter window was the problem I have mold growing all over the seatbelt as well.

yesterday I sealed the quarter windows with it in the car. I just applied black silicone sealant (says non corrosive, actually made for use on engien parts....), it's good stuff though.

I did it a bit different on both windows, on the passenger side I didn't lift the rubber and just applied it over the rubber and glass and I'm pretty sure it's sealled but not sure how long it will last.

on the driver side I lifted it up and and got it between teh ruber and glass, that should last longer.

on the dirver side I also removed the metal trim and now it won't go back on but I don't care for now.

I took the cover off the car and left it in the rain and i'll see if it gets wet again but I'm hoping it's fixed.

yeah I'm not sure if the outside of the seal touching the body of the car can leak into the car as well.

when I lifted up th eseal on the driver side there was actually a bit of water in there so it was leaking.

I'll let you know if it still leaks, thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I still haven't had time to remove that back seat but it's much drier in the car now I leave teh doors open whenver it stops raining to dry it out.

I'll try washing the back seat with oxy clean and using the mold killing stuff form homedepot.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

the metal trim wont go in the seal because that has to go in while the window is out of the car... then you put the whole window, seal, and trim in at once. it may be possible, but when i tried it seemed impossible and i took the window out to put it back in. proper lubes may make this easier, but taking window out worked for me
Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'll leave it off for now as long as it doesn't leak anymore......

Quick Reply: Water leaks in car, now moldy, pics.