Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:47 AM
someone446
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues

Any ideas on what this could be? I have an 86 951. The car has ran great until the starter went bad. I replaced it with a NEW starter and it hasn't ran right since. It starts and then goes dead sometimes and sometimes when the starts the starter keeps trying to turn.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Make sure that the terminals at the starter are completely separated. When you tighten the nuts the starter and solenoid wires can sometimes slightly touch and cause an intermittent contact. If it goes dead after starting it could be a dead short at the starter through those wires or bad ignition switch. If it keeps spinning, the solenoid isn't disengaging so again it could be those wires or a bad ignition switch/worn lock cylinder. Check the starter connections first and then have it bench tested if you can't find anything unusual. Good luck and i hope you find the problem.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Dynamite 76
Instructor

Check your alternator as well. Mine went bad and did a lot of research, and can cause problems w/ starters since they are wired directly to one another. I had mine tested for free at pep boys. The parts counter guy who I always ask for stuff he never has gave me a coupon, guess he feels bad for me. Little does he know that I'm just checking prices for stuff I have already found on the web or at my mechanic's. When he does have something I just act shocked at how expensive it is.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you might have gotten the wires mixed up when you installed the starter. There are three studs on the starter, two big ones and one small.
One of the big ones has a braided wire going straight into the starter motor. That's the only wire on that terminal.
The other big terminal has two wires; a big heavy wire connected straight to the battery, and a small 10 guage wire that comes from the alternator.
The last small terminal has a single, smaller wire running to it; this is from the ignition switch.
Again, double check to make sure nothing is touching; it's pretty tight down there and easy to have wires turn slightly as you tighten them.

Quick Reply: Starter Issues