Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
puffin04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track car advice

Well i got all the tar out including most of it out of the doors. I am trying to clean the rest up so i can paint. The paint i am using is Krylon called Fusion in an aerosol form since i do not have a paint gun. Would this be good enough and do i have to primer? If so what kind? I have been looking for acid etch primer but can not find it here. What would you recommend for sanding? I am using a wire wheel on a die grinder but i do not think that it is good enough. Here are some pictures of the rust i found and something else that pissed me off. Any pictures you guys have would be great since i can not find enough information and pictures out there thanks...

Steffen Sparks

Old 03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch on that belt!

I used rattle cans on my interior, and it turned out pretty good. I used Krylon oil based paint (white can with different colored circles on it.) It took 8-9 cans to do the whole interior in several coats. Mineral spirits worked well to clean up any residual adhesive and 'tar paper' bits. As with anything, prep work is key. I spent about 40 hours on my interior, it is acceptable, but far from perfect:
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I used xylene to strip the tar paper residue. I dont know if its necessary but I used primer before I painted. The back of the paint can said nto to apply it to a galvanized surface, Im assuming because it wont stick. I used rustoleum auto primer, and then rolled on 2 coats of rustoleum (thinned with mineral spirits) with a HD foam roller. I didnt spend as much time in prepping the interior so its not nearly as nice as shiners car but it works for me.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
puffin04
Instructor

Yeah i know about the belt it sucks but i did not drive it that much at all maybe a couple a times during the year. So i have no idea when the belt broke. I have been using the xylene stuff, do you think it is not as good as mineral spirits? I like the dash. Mine is good and i was thinking of get a fiber glass dash and install custom gauges but i do not know what gauges to get. I have an 1983. If you have more pictures please post. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Old 03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also used xylene, but in addition I found that engine grease remover in an aerosol can was really good at dissolving the sticky crap. When I pulled the tar paper on the center tunnel, it was the engine grease remover that was key in getting the sticky crap off. That and a big fat metal putty knife.

As for the paint, who knows... Mine is pretty good on the floor so I left it... in fact for now I just put the carpet back in... It's pretty light and I'm sure it will be some time before I'm good a enough driver that the extra 5 pounds will slow me down.

Quick Reply: Track car advice