Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Fest Dates

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
I agree with the 'ditch the alcohol' idea. And I would also require everyone to sign a full waiver of liability, along with a statement of understanding of the rules of the event, including the alcohol ban. Nothing says you have to take further steps to enforce these rules.
That's a tough call. If something were to happen, and it was evident that the rules were only "on paper" and not actually being enforced, the waiver would probably not stand up if things got ugly. I really would not advise that course of action.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
That's a tough call. If something were to happen, and it was evident that the rules were only "on paper" and not actually being enforced, the waiver would probably not stand up if things got ugly. I really would not advise that course of action.
I'm not saying to tell people "sign this and we won't tell anyone you're drinking". I meant you wouldn't have to have 'Alcohol Police' walking around looking for it. If I go to the event I wouldn't want to volunteer my day to walk around looking for drinkers. But I would have the organizers enforce "If we see you drinking, you'll be asked to leave". Personally I don't feel alcohol has any place at the event at all, but I don't drink. If I were organizing it, and people took the attitude "I'm not coming if I can't drink", my answer would be "fine, stay home".

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
I'm not saying to tell people "sign this and we won't tell anyone you're drinking". I meant you wouldn't have to have 'Alcohol Police' walking around looking for it. If I go to the event I wouldn't want to volunteer my day to walk around looking for drinkers. But I would have the organizers enforce "If we see you drinking, you'll be asked to leave". Personally I don't feel alcohol has any place at the event at all, but I don't drink. If I were organizing it, and people took the attitude "I'm not coming if I can't drink", my answer would be "fine, stay home".

Regards,
Russell
Thanks for the input but if you have been to a fest in the past you would know that alcohol is not a must but definately fits the crowd. I'm not saying that anybody had a drink and then drove anywhere especially on track, I'm saying that when the track time was over and no where to go to but my tent that sitting around a campfire and making campfire pizza and liquid sunshine shots and possibly a cup or 4 of Dort was very relaxing. (even looks like Dort)
Thanks to all past participants, the memories are everlasting.
CUZ
Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 128 Posts

At all the track events I've been to over the last 27 years, there is a strict rule: no alcohol, period, before the track officially closes at 5PM.

It is strictly enforced- if you are seen with an open beer, goodbye.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

It's always 5PM somewhere....

Seriously though, would an enforced "No Beer till everyone's off the track -- for good" be a help? I'd like to think we're all pretty controlled individuals -- and I'm sure local arrangements could be made to house all the booze off site until five -- should that come to make or break the idea. Plus, if 2008's 944Fest rides on a successful 2007 fest, I think I speak for most, if not all fellow Rennlisters when I say we're more than willing to police ourselves and each other -- no offense to anyone, but if it comes to down to picking between letting a buddy have "a" beer, and getting to come back next year, the choice seems pretty clear. You can bet the folks that took more than an hour to get to Nelson Ledges would be dissuaded from a beer at 4:30 with a strict enforcement policy. No exceptions either -- if Winslow brings his decked out RV, it must be thoroughly searched for beer, booze, women ...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by centerpunch
At all the track events I've been to over the last 27 years, there is a strict rule: no alcohol, period, before the track officially closes at 5PM..
Same for the 'fest. After the track event is a WHOLE different story, just as the PCA does. I've been to many PCA events where they have a keg waiting for a 5:01 tapping.

I hate to admit this, but alcohol really IS a part of the fest. Sure it does NOT mix with motorsports, but the Fest has only become a "motorsports" activity this last year. Some of the best times at this event are at 11 PM around a campfire, with tents so there is NO driving. It would be sad indeed to have to disclude our social lubricant. The Fest isn't just a car show, or DE, or a cruise, it has evolved into a weekend event that encompasses numerous activities. One of the favorites just happens to be marginally self destructive. I don't want to have to police for alcohol, but you can be certain my crew is watching for folks misbehaving under the influence. (This was added in '06)

Tifo, I would be honored if you could find the time to join us one of these years. Do you have any plans Aug 10-11?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any updates, Dan?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

slightly OT: I love the sig, Tenacious_G!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by hockeydude
Any updates, Dan?
Maybe if Tifo would come, it would be the motivator I need to commit..
Old 02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
eurotrash
Instructor

As a great man once said
"Alcohol the cause and solution to all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson
chirs save me some jello shots, and werd to the SWO i have R&R in like a week so see ya then
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jgporsche

It's a pleasure! Can't wait to get your fuel rail so I can throw everything together! It's hard just seeing them in boxes -- but once everything's in you can bet I'll get you pictures!

Right, back on topic -- beer.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgporsche
I shouldn't have had all those X-rays done back in 1985....

Who knew? WHO KNEW?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Free spectator admission to Fest '07 (?) to the person who composes a worthy song about Vinny's radiated testes.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I hate to admit this, but alcohol really IS a part of the fest. Sure it does NOT mix with motorsports, but the Fest has only become a "motorsports" activity this last year. Some of the best times at this event are at 11 PM around a campfire, with tents so there is NO driving. It would be sad indeed to have to disclude our social lubricant. The Fest isn't just a car show, or DE, or a cruise, it has evolved into a weekend event that encompasses numerous activities. One of the favorites just happens to be marginally self destructive. I don't want to have to police for alcohol, but you can be certain my crew is watching for folks misbehaving under the influence. (This was added in '06)
Dan "just when I think you can't stoop any lower, you step up to the computer keyboard...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!!!!"

Folks - This is why Dan P. is so loved worldwide! He is truly one of the GUYS!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
I shouldn't have had all those X-rays done back in 1985....

Who knew? WHO KNEW?

Well, you did us all a favor and got snipped in the '90's -- one of me is apparently too much, Christ knows what would have happened if multiplication would have taken place en masse.

...I almost want to win that contest Dan P proposed. But then I realized I'd have to write a song about my dad's *****. And if it was a good song, they'd say, "like father, like son!" and I'd get made fun of for inhaling gas fumes. You were right though, Dad. Life is full of choices.

Quick Reply: 944 Fest Dates