Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AZ charity poker run March 4th

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AZ charity poker run March 4th

I just got word of this from some friends in Arizona at our group Arizonarides.com . I know the guy that needs help and unfortunatly I can not be there but I will be tested for a bone marrow donner.

"Recently, one of our friends and a Tucson car enthusiast of many years, Josh Holden, acquired a rare disease known as PNH while serving his second tour in Iraq. It seems that in Josh’s case bone marrow transplants will be required. The problem is that out of all the registered donors in America no donors match Josh’s tissue type required for the donation. Tissue type is different than blood type and is usually tested by a simple swab of the cheek. Naturally many of us in our own circle would like to volunteer to donate and try to help save Josh’s life, however there is a problem with that as well. There is a charge of $52 per person to take the test. Since most of us are students on the ramen diet already and all of us share the same expensive hobby we need help raising money in order to take the tests.

As a result we are organizing a Poker Rally. It will take place on Sunday March 4th. There will be a $20 entry fee to participate in the event. You can pay at the starting point, cash only. We will meet at Old Vail Middle School at 13299 E Colossal Cave Rd at 9:00 AM and leave by 9:30. The route of the drive will be given to you at the meeting point when you arrive. The drive will end on top of Mt. Lemmon near the Iron Door restaurant. There will be five stops along the way; at each stop a vehicle will receive a poker card. The person at the end of the drive with the best poker hand will receive a free dinner for two at the Jonathan’s Cork. There will also be a surprise gift for last place.

Lastly, this is NOT a Cannonball Run style event nor is it a race. Burnouts, aggressive driving, speeding, showing off etc. will not be tolerated. Obey all traffic laws! This is not a fast drive; there is no need to drive above the posted speed limit. Violators will be asked to leave and there will be no refunds. The point of this drive is two fold. One: Get money to help save the life of a fellow car enthusiast. Two: Have fun with other car enthusiasts from all aspects of motoring. I have been looking forward to this event for a long time now, and it should be a lot of fun. Please don’t ruin it with any drama or ego issues.

This event will be held on open roads with other people on the road so drive accordingly. The founders of this event are in no way responsible for your actions, the actions of other people involved with the rally, or people who are just on the road. As with any driving you do on public roads, you are responsible for your actions.

If you cannot make the drive but would still like to donate, write to J.sternberg@gmail.com and we can discuss it.

Thank you for your help. I am looking forward to seeing all of you there."

If you would like to support this cause but can not attend you can email Mark at J.sternberg@gmail.com to find out how. Josh has set up a registered non profit bank account so he can help fund research into his rare disease, PNH, and to help find a marrow donner.

Quick Reply: AZ charity poker run March 4th