Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brade pad question - pads that don't squeek with X-drilled rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 AM
simmomi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brade pad question - pads that don't squeek with X-drilled rotors?

Myself and at least one other active person on this board have cross drilled rotors on the fronts of our cars. We both have problems with them squeeking/squeeling when braking. Both are factory pads.

In my case, the pads have been "treated" or "soaked" as it was called. Some sort of treatment that is supposed to help with this problem. Didn't affect it.

We'd both like to know who is running cross drilled rotors and is NOT having problems with their pads doing this. What brand of pads are you using?

FYI - My car is road use only, so no special pads are needed on my part. I would believe the same for the other party. Additionally, I've got the larger TurboS/S4 calipers on mine.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Have you tried putting antisqueal on the backing plates? Usually does the trick for me.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think the x-drilling is the problem.

I have always had some level of squeaking with my Turbo S calipers, no matter what pads and what anti-squeal shims I used. Even with the factory textar pads with the factory shims, and factory solid rotors. Its really bad when using track compound pads.

I gave up years ago trying to eliminate all brake noise with the Turbo S brakes, and have just learned to live with the noise.

If you figure anything out that absolutely eliminates all squeaking, please share....
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
If you figure anything out that absolutely eliminates all squeaking, please share....
Don't use them...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
Don't use them...
bingo!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never ran into a problem but I only have factory S2 calipers on my own car and Hawk HPS pads. As far as other Turbo S's I have done brakes on again (Again Hawks) no problem. I have used Hawk Blue pads with very little squeal on 944 N/A brakes (track car).

Is it that HAWKS don't squeal? no I hear they are pretty notorious for it actually but I think it all comes down to who is doing the install..
Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey

....but I think it all comes down to who is doing the install..

Yep, Ill bet thats it.

Oh by the way, does it matter if you install the pad with the steel backing plate facing the rotor, or is the pad material supposed to be in contact with the rotor?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob

I gave up years ago trying to eliminate all brake noise with the Turbo S brakes, and have just learned to live with the noise.

Post #4 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/331746-993tt-big-red-brakes-squeeking.html

Another old trick ... that I have never tried ... is to drill a number of small holes in the pad it self and fill them with graphite (“pencil lead”).
I don’t know how many holes or their optimum location. I would think it adds some pedal pressure for a given brake g-force.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Post #4 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331746

Another old trick ... that I have never tried ... is to drill a number of small holes in the pad it self and fill them with graphite (“pencil lead”).
I don’t know how many holes or their optimum location. I would think it adds some pedal pressure for a given brake g-force.
I have really only run into the issue with the 928S4 calipers. And obviously Porsche found the same problem, since they tried more than one method to get rid of it - to included the adhesive plate shims between the pistons and pads.

Your link to your other post, shows a similar application of the same concept as the factory anti-squeal/vibration plates. Not sure if your method would work better than the factory parts - but as I mentioned, I only had limited success with the factory pieces (did reduce the volume and frequency of the squealing, but did not eliminate it).

I bet the graphite trick might work, but since graphite will function as somewhat of a lubricant, it kind of defeats the purpose of the braking system - dont you think?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
simmomi
Pro

Update to this post...

I just installed some Wagner Thermoquiet pads, and it SEEMS to have resolved the brake squeel problem.

I have only driven the car a couple times since installing the pads, but each time it's been perfectly quiet.

I'll give it another 3-4 weeks or so to break in the pads a little more and I'll post another update.

Obviously, you probably wouldn't want to do any auto-x, etc with these pads, but they seem to stop very well.

Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: Brade pad question - pads that don't squeek with X-drilled rotors?