Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock Nuts on eccentric Bolt of control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 AM
PSD21
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock Nuts on eccentric Bolt of control arms?

I am in the process of replacing the control arms on my 90 944 s2. I understand that it is necessary to replace all the lock nuts. Specifically, the M12-1.5 lock nut on the eccentric bolt where the rear of the control arm mounts to the caster block was difficult to find with the exception of ordering the part from porsche. What I was able to find were stainless NYLON locking nuts as oppose to the all steel lock nuts that were on it. Does anyone know any reason why the nylon lock nuts are not suitable as a replacement for the all steel lock nuts that were original equipment. I also intend torque all the nuts to the proper torque values (which may not be suitable for the nylon nuts), and then the next step is to take it in and have a front end alignment, so the nuts will be loosened and then re-torqued by the shop. I thought this may also present a problems. Any knowledge on this subject is much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the steel ones. You can source them from your local VW dealer. They usually have a bin of them in stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I would reuse the existing nuts, instead of the nylon lock nuts. I doubt the nylon lock nuts are grade 10.9.

Its actually not a big deal to reuse the existing nuts, unless they are worn out. If it still takes some effort to turn them onto the bolt/eccentric using a wrench, then they are ok. Obviously, if you can turn them with your fingers, they need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Lock Nuts on eccentric Bolt of control arms?