Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid frunt strut question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
zbeeblebrox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid frunt strut question

ok so im replacing my shocks on my 87 944 NA, whats killing me is that tire rack is saying i can get kyb gr2 cartridge inserts. i didnt think that was possible? i would like just some OE replacements, and it would be great not to have to get the whole strut assembly. so what is tire rack trying to sell? and would it just be better to get the koni front inserts?(would be no problem to do the work) and at that point should i get the matching rears? keep in mind im on an engineering students budget. and jsut remember im not smart yet.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An 87 will not have replaceable inserts from the factory, it will have 1 piece struts. If you can do the conversion as detailed in the paragon tech article, then the best bet is to just buy the inserts for the front and do the conversion. Personally I'd rather have the koni's than the KYB's.

An you probably can get away with just the fronts but I think you'd probably be better off doing all four corners...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get the entire strut assemblies from vertex auto, they are about $150 each. They are just stock units but they are complete and don't require any modifications, just put your springs and mounts etc. on and your done.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

If you want to upgrade, convert! It's not a bad process -- I've done it and it's worth the dividends.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Convert? It wasn't really a conversion, more like removing the guts of the old strut, and inserting the new insert. Are early struts different than late ones?

The biggest improvement comes from new front shocks, so if you leave the rears alone it should be OK. Just remember you have a bouncier rear than front, when you drive aggressively.

If you're on a budget, don't get Konis. Because if you buy all 4, you'll be broke, and if you buy 2, it will be too unbalanced. I've heard the KYBs are decent if not a bit too stiff, while the OEMs are nice and smooth.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Up to 86, the struts were rebuildable. Unlike the later struts, there is a threaded collar at the top which once removed, the insert can be pulled out of the strut, a new one slid in, and the collar replaced.
On the later struts, they are sealed units. In order to just replace the cartridge you have to remove the sealed cap, pull out the old insert, then you need to drill a hole at the bottom of the strut assembly, which at least for Koni inserts will let you bolt the new cartridge to the assembly. You also need to cut a bit of the top of the strut assembly down as part of the conversion.
I was happy that I had the early struts.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Like Pete said, 87 and later 944's and 86 and later 951's require the hacksaw koni method. It isn't hard, just remember to measure twice and cut once. Its a nice idea to clean up the old strut bodies once you have cut them and maybe even put a fresh coat of paint on them before you bolt in the new "insert" and re-install. Should be a leisurely 2 day job if you are cleaning them up, one day to remove, cut, clean, and paint. Then let dry overnite, and assemble and install the next day. Of course even if you are good an alignment is in order once all of that is done.

Which leads me to my next point. While you have it all apart, inspect the caster blocks and replace at this time if the rubber is torn out or dead. Also take a look at the upper strut bearings. One last thing, the bolts that hold the struts to the spindle should be replaced with new ones at this time as well. All of this stuff is available from www.paragon-products.com.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Convert? It wasn't really a conversion, more like removing the guts of the old strut, and inserting the new insert.
Semantics. Removing/Converting... okay.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

To me it is a conversion. You are taking something that is a sealed mechanism, cutting it apart, modifying it, and insterting a removable strut cartidge in it. yep, definetly a conversion.

Last edited by tifosiman; 02-13-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: speeling eeror
Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

I think tire rack is wrong.

Quick Reply: stupid frunt strut question