Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator rebuild

Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, Dechiles, that would do it..Also, examine the springs behind the brushes. if one of those breaks. that would allow the brush to bounce around and give intermittent voltage results and make your gauges do wonky things.
If you want more voltage, out of an alternator, you will have to change the voltage regulator to something else that will give you the results you want. If you want AC current from an alternator, you have to remove the rectifier that's in there and bypass it to the output post. there are outfits out there that will do this for you...look for automotive electric shops...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Dchiles08
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Yes, Dechiles, that would do it..Also, examine the springs behind the brushes. if one of those breaks. that would allow the brush to bounce around and give intermittent voltage results and make your gauges do wonky things.
If you want more voltage, out of an alternator, you will have to change the voltage regulator to something else that will give you the results you want. If you want AC current from an alternator, you have to remove the rectifier that's in there and bypass it to the output post. there are outfits out there that will do this for you...look for automotive electric shops...
I haven't yet ordered parts. All I want is for everything to work especially gauges bc the car sat for ten to fifteen years before I got ahold of it and I'm afraid to drive it without them. So I planned on getting new bearings and regulator will that be enough?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Should be,,,before you tear into it, take it down to AutoZone, or a store that has a test bench. Test it and see what the results are. When the tech does the test, the bench should be able to give you #'s. Should be between 13.5 to 15.5 volts. If it sounds OK, and the results are good, why go into it? However, if the bearings sound or feel rough, or gritty, it's time to give it an overhaul. My car sat for about 10+ years, outside, also, but the alternator tested well and the pulley spun freely. I was able to spin it up using a small motor and listened to the bearings..they seemed fine. so I'm going to leave it alone for now..
Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

If *all* of the gauges are going out, I'd suspect it's a grounding issue. Things like water temp and fuel work when just the key is turned on, before the alternator starts charging.

I believe the early cars (pre '85.5) have a different alternator than the one in my pictures.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Dchiles08
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Van
If *all* of the gauges are going out, I'd suspect it's a grounding issue. Things like water temp and fuel work when just the key is turned on, before the alternator starts charging.

I believe the early cars (pre '85.5) have a different alternator than the one in my pictures.
Well I'm pretty sure mine is an 85.5
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Dchiles08
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Should be,,,before you tear into it, take it down to AutoZone, or a store that has a test bench. Test it and see what the results are. When the tech does the test, the bench should be able to give you #'s. Should be between 13.5 to 15.5 volts. If it sounds OK, and the results are good, why go into it? However, if the bearings sound or feel rough, or gritty, it's time to give it an overhaul. My car sat for about 10+ years, outside, also, but the alternator tested well and the pulley spun freely. I was able to spin it up using a small motor and listened to the bearings..they seemed fine. so I'm going to leave it alone for now..
Iv already torn it apart I know the bearings are bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator rebuild