Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smaller battery

Does anybody have the Excellence from August 06 that shows how to convert over to a smaller battery? I think its issue #148.

Or, if anyone has pics of the lindsey smaller battery mount kit installed, that'd be cool as well.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...e=GENBATTERIES
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rennline carries a pretty nice mount as well that can include a cutoff switch... not cheap but...

rennline battery mount
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same exact battery in my car, that battey box isnt totally bolt on, you will need to fabricate a little to make that work, or relocate the battery somewhere else in the car.

Someone posted this picture when i asked and i did basically the same exact thing. Works very well, no moving around at auto-x and passes tech.

Rennline.com makes a 'proper' bracket that is a bit nicer and presentable, but its fairly expensive.

I do have the issue of Excellence somewhere at home. Its a nice writeup, but you can come up with something just as good (like what was done above) without nearly as much work.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

For $5 you can make your own mount. And you can get a lightweight battery at Auto Zone for $70. I used this setup last season. The mount held the battery solid with no movement at all, and the battery is really easy and quick to remove. The battery never failed to start the car and worked perfect.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Someone posted this picture when i asked and i did basically the same exact thing.
That's me! And the whole thing consists of a short trip of ducting bracket from your local hardware store!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

besides weight savings, what are the other benefits?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I was looking at the first mount because it looks like it would be small enough where I could (hopefully) mount it on the front side of the spare tire well so that there would still hopefully be enough room for the spare. Or if not the spare tire well, it should be pretty easy to mount in a rear tire well. My biggest issue with doing that would be figuring out how to make some connection posts in the engine bay like bmw's have. Oh, duh, I wonder if I could just get some ones from a bmw...
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Why not just use regular battery posts?

The only benefits are less weight and lower CG...as your taking off roughly 20lbs from fairly high up on the car. It is NOT an all season battery, if its anywhere near as cold as its been in the NY area your probably going to be stranded with a dead battery.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Cool, thanks for the info. I was looking at the first mount because it looks like it would be small enough where I could (hopefully) mount it on the front side of the spare tire well so that there would still hopefully be enough room for the spare. Or if not the spare tire well, it should be pretty easy to mount in a rear tire well. My biggest issue with doing that would be figuring out how to make some connection posts in the engine bay like bmw's have. Oh, duh, I wonder if I could just get some ones from a bmw...
Do some research before relocating a smaller battery to the rear of the car. I recall reading (I don't remember where, who, what, etc. so this may have been complete bunk) that the length of the battery cables needed to relocate the battery to the rear of the car would cause the battery not to work as efficiently. Again, I have no idea the validity of that, but worth checking out before you proceed.

Besides, the lightweight batteries are only ~ 12 pounds, so relocating to the rear will not do much for weight distribution. In addition, 10 feet of battery cable is pretty heavy, so you are adding weight right back in.

Techno, regular battery posts don't fit those batteries, you either use bolts/washers like I did, or buy these: (scroll to bottom of page)

http://www.momentummotorparts.com/store/batteries.asp
Old 02-09-2007, 11:20 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only benefits are less weight and lower CG...as your taking off roughly 20lbs from fairly high up on the car. It is NOT an all season battery, if its anywhere near as cold as its been in the NY area your probably going to be stranded with a dead battery.
Would you suggest having 2 batteries instead? 1 for the track and 1 for the street?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Jim, im not sure i get what your saying? You can buy the regular style battery posts and still use the original cable terminals. Your local auto store should have them.

Seb, i suggest keeping the old battery for the winter. I run the Odyssey usually from march / april through november.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Jim, im not sure i get what your saying? You can buy the regular style battery posts and still use the original cable terminals. Your local auto store should have them.
Your original cable terminals will fit on regular style battery posts, but regular style battery posts will not fit into the lightweight batteries (at least not any of the LW batteries I have seen.) The studs on the battery posts need to be much smaller than those that fit a regular size battery. I don't remember the exact size I used, but it's somewhere around M6. The studs on the posts at the parts stores I looked in were all too large.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I had no problems getting my terminals onto the posts that came with my Odyssey. I did have to pry them open slightly, but nothing drastic.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

I had no problems getting my terminals onto the posts that came with my Odyssey. I did have to pry them open slightly, but nothing drastic.
Dude, you're not understanding what I'm saying.

Your battery came with posts. Not all lightweight batteries come with automotive posts included. If he needs to purchase auto posts to be used in conjunction with the LW battery, the posts available at auto parts stores (at least the posts in the stores I looked in: Auto Zone, NAPA, and Advance) will not fit into the LW battery's female threaded holes.

It's not a matter of terminals fitting the posts, it's a matter of posts fitting into the battery.

I was "posting" (pun intended) in response to billthe3's comment about needing to figure out how to make connection posts. I thought he was referring to the battery posts, hence my "post" on which posts to use.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I'm not really going for weight reduction, I've already got enough other stuff in there that its rather pointless. I was just wanting to move the battery to the back to be different/move the weight and also get the battery out of the pit under the hood. I don't like how you can reach right under the edge of the hood and get into the battery to disconnect it (and disarm an alarm or whatever).

For the posts, I guess what I meant to say was the terminals. I'm thinking of doing something like the 90s bmw's have where the battery is in the back and they have wires running to the front, but they then have the wires connected to some solid terminals so that you can keep the regular style battery hookups. I'd go outside and take a picture of my e38, but of course my mom took it down to carmel for the weekend... Basically I just want to figure out a way to make some solid posts to connect the stock wire terminal connectors to in the engine bay to keep a soild connection.

Here's the only pictures I could find on google.

Quick Reply: Smaller battery