Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excellence Market Values 84 944's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellence Market Values 84 944's

I am considering selling my 84 944 N/A this spring. I have just received my copy of Excellence April 2007. I am looking to purchase a Boxster.

Values 84 Porsche 944
so-so $4911
good $5584
excellent $7445

My car has around 140,000. It will need some touchup on paint drivers fender and hood.

I was looking at selling this car for $2600 with Phone Dial wheels or $3300 with Chrome Cup wheels as seen in link below.

Is this car worth having the car totally resprayed? The car runs and drives like new. Interior is in great shape. No leaks. It is a really nice car.

I am willing to put the money in a paint job.

What would you guys do? Suggestions?

See link:

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/IXLOR8/
Old 02-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

2,600 is more than fair if there is no major service needed. I wouldn't think you would get the value of the paint job out of it unless you are having the infamous clear coat separation problem. Do you have service records?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Paint jobs are more expesive than you might think. You could get estimates, but paint probaly won't tranlate into enought gain in value. Car looks nice, $2600 might be on the low side of what you could ask.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Somebody's getting a deal if you're only asking $2600. You have sport seats in nice shape.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:10 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subtract $500 for that Porsche "light bar" ;-)
Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 PM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Default Paint work

I need to have the paint on front fender and hood touched up. The rest of the paint is in great shape.

I did get an estimate from my local body shop for $1800 for a base coat / clear coat for the complete car. He said it would not need much work.

It has a lot of options on the car.

Sports Seats
Special steering wheel
cruise
power sunroof
rear wiper
power windows
power streering.
Special paint
alarm system
Power hatch realease
rear window defrost
air conditiong
The big plus in the car is the interior. Most cars you would have to recover the seats. No rips at all. Carpeting and panels are great shape.

The car drives and runs nice. Very easy to shift.

I actually got the car because it had air and cruise. My 911 does not come out on hot days. It does not have air.

I am looking on selling to help my son pay off his school loans.

I rather sell it without the paint work completed.

Paint completed car? $1800 + $2600 I would have to get $4400 for the car.

Sell car without touchup done with Phone Dials$ $2600 to 2900?

This information is really helpful guys.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

WOW I don't even like the color combo but if I were looking for an N/A I would ****** that up for 2.6K. I LOVE the sport seats... Did you recover them? My driver side sport seat has a tear ..your seats make mine look like crap!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

If the so-so value is listed at $4911 then i'd certainly list it higher than $2600. After all thats an "opening" price and you may have people try and haggle it down. You didnt mention maintenance records, water pump, timing belt etc.

-mike
Old 02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
IXLOR8
Advanced

Smile

Mike - I purchased the car with the seats in that condition.

Prittie - I did not get any of the paperwork on the car. I based my decision to buy the car on the condition it was in. I have found that, if the interior is trashed more than likely they did not take care of the car.

Cory - You have a great lookng car. Lightbars on Porsches. I have seen them on 911's but not on 944's. The lightbar would have to stay on the car at 150 MPH. I wonder if the front end would start to lift?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLOR8
Cory - You have a great lookng car. Lightbars on Porsches. I have seen them on 911's but not on 944's. The lightbar would have to stay on the car at 150 MPH. I wonder if the front end would start to lift?
Ya know - the light bar adds 15 hp!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

an excellent 84944na worth $7445???????, what drugs are they on?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
mitsumark

My 84 brought $4300 on Ebay but didnt meet its reserve..I listed it The week before Christmas and that and the winter season makes it harder to sell this type of car.I would hold out until spring(as Im doing)to try and sell then.I think your car is worth more than $2600..Discription and pics mean everything as far as the amount it will bring..Here is the exact copied and pasted description of mine..

General-84 944,118k,5spd,pwr windows,pwr brakes,pwr steering,pwr sunroof..

Cosmetics-Lets see..This car looks awesome considering it is 23 years old.The paint shines brightly as it has been garage kept for the last 7 years and waxed regularly.It hasnt seen moisture as long as I have owned it.The only chipped up area on the car is the very front lower spoiler from rocks kicking up over the years,and maybe a few around the very low part of the rocker panels.The body is 100% rust free and there are NO major dents or scratches anywhere.The windows are fully tinted with 5% all around as shown in the more recent pics below. And some other small additions to enhance the cars aggressive stance have been added like a fully functional hood scoop off a 300ZX turbo that feeds a K&N cone under the hood..On the rear,the car sports a rear valence off the Porsche 951 that really adds flare to the back end of the car.The car sits on fully polished 16x8 and 16x7 turbo Fuchs that came off a Porsche 930.They are mint without a single scratch.The front tires are brand new and the rears are about 70%.The car is lowered in the front using 250lb Weltmeister springs,and the rear is slightly lowered via eccentric bolts.The car looks as awesome as seen in the pics.I give the exterior an easy 8 out of 10.

Interior-The interior is also in great shape for its age.All door panels are fully intact and secure/All buttons and lights work as they should.That even includes the original clock,odometer,and power sunroof that works flawlessly thanks to a new seal,cable,and gear..The carpet is free of any rips or stains and all gauges work.The dash did have some small cracks developing near the defroster vents that were driving me crazy so I installed a molded dash cap the looks like the real dash at first glance.I just installed a brand new set of Black simulated leather FX racing seats with Sparco sliders.They are comfortable and sit just like the factory seats.The rest of the interior is just like any other early 944 with the exception of a MOMO wheel,,new Porsche "statesmen"mats,,and a 1000W sound system that hits hard and clean.It consists of a "fully motorized"Alpine CD head unit,1000W Soundstream amp pushing 2 10"JL Audio subs,and all new Blaupunkt surround speakers.I give the interior an 9 out of 10.

Mechanicly-I have receipts for all repairs and updates made to this car and they are all within 5000 miles or 2 years.These are some of the things I can think of.Im sure Im forgetting alot.But it doesnt matter as I have all documents.

Complete timing belt service including both belts,all tensioners and rollers,and new front seals.

New "updated"turbo water pump with 180dg thermostat and low temp fan switch.

New "updated"radiator with new upper and lower radiator hoses.

Fully removed and rebuilt oil cooler assembly with all new seals,and oil pressure sending unit.

New PORSCHE factory motor mounts and trans mount.

Full tuneup with Magnecor 8mm wires,Bosch Platinum plugs,cap and rotor,fuel filter,and PCV valve.

New Bosch 02 sensor.

and many other things I cant remember right now.The car is bone stock except for a few items that include a Weltmeister throttle cam,K&N cone filter,Bursch test pipe,low temp thermo and switch,and a AC delete bracket.The car has always had frequent coolant flushes and Mobil1 oil changes,The car doesnt spit,sputter,overheat,leak,or burn any fluids.It starts right up and runs like a top without issue.The trans shifts in and out of all gears smoothly and the clutch does NOT slip.The shift lever does have some play as most 944s do.I would trust driving the car anywhere.

Suspension/Brakes-The entire front end of the car has recently been replaced. It has new front shocks and strut isolaters,new ball joints,new tie rod ends,new rack bushings,new control arm bushings,and Weltmeister springs.It has new brakes all the way around and stops as it should.It is due for a wheel bearing service and that will be done before it is sold/traded.

Final Thought-If you are looking to get into a 944 that has had all of the bigger common problems already worked out and looks and runs awesome with alot of extras,this is for you.If you are looking for a virgin concourse car than look elsewhere.I dont need a nit picker showing up at my house using every flaw on the vehicle as an excuse of why he isnt going to pay for the car.Afterall,,it is 23 years old and it is not perfect.

Here are some shots..

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
sailwa66
AutoX

Nice 44... $2600 with the phone dials is a steal... it's worth more than that. I wouldn't bother with a paint job, I don't think the return on investment would be worth it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely love the sport seats - my brother has them and I don't. They hug so much better through the tight corners!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mitsumark - I love those Fuches with the Chrome Triangles and edges with black in the middle. Looks Great on your car. If i did not put moddern 996 wheels on mine that is probably what i would have done. THe Block and Chrome Fuches look awsome!!!

Quick Reply: Excellence Market Values 84 944's