Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack stand question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that plastic cover over the frame rail could be covering your fuel lines, watch out. A good spot for stands if you can reach it, is the aluminum cross bar between the two a-arms, it would be impossible to dent that thing.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by M758
Front I used the caster block.

If I need to get to the control arm I used the frame. I do have bends in the sheet metal

In the rear I used the t-bar support, not the t-bar end cap.

Nice flat surface and no concerns about bending the t-bar end cap tube.
That looks very sturdy in the rear but in the front....unless it is just the angle it looks like not much is actually sitting on the jack stand.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

On 911's it's typical practice to use the torsion tube or the cover to support the rear. So it should be fine on a 944. Although I never used it on my 944.

Dan, I never had any problems with denting, although my undercoating did get peeled away from the jack stands at the frame rails in the front.

One suggestion I saw is to use multiple sheets of news paper as a buffer between the car and the jack stand. I've also seen (I can't remember where) rubber covers that are made to fit over the top of the jack stands. Maybe search the internet see if you can find them.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by arbeitm
On 911's it's typical practice to use the torsion tube or the cover to support the rear. So it should be fine on a 944. Although I never used it on my 944.

Dan, I never had any problems with denting, although my undercoating did get peeled away from the jack stands at the frame rails in the front.

One suggestion I saw is to use multiple sheets of news paper as a buffer between the car and the jack stand. I've also seen (I can't remember where) rubber covers that are made to fit over the top of the jack stands. Maybe search the internet see if you can find them.
I used a hockey puck the other day and is seemed to protect it although if is slipped I would have been pucked!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I used a hockey puck the other day and is seemed to protect it although if is slipped I would have been pucked!!!
I wouldn't recommend a hockey puck on the jack stands. Could slip and fall. I use a hockey puck on the jack plate.

Try one of your old Panorama magazines. They might work...at least they would be useful for something.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks very sturdy in the rear but in the front....unless it is just the angle it looks like not much is actually sitting on the jack stand.

Well in that picture the car is not even on the jack stand there. With 4 jack stands and not level ground it is pretty common to have the car 3 pointing it. Even so that mount may not look really solid, but as long as you are careful when raising & lowering it will hold just fine. I always put one of the bolts in the midde of jackstand.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by M758
Well in that picture the car is not even on the jack stand there. With 4 jack stands and not level ground it is pretty common to have the car 3 pointing it. Even so that mount may not look really solid, but as long as you are careful when raising & lowering it will hold just fine. I always put one of the bolts in the midde of jackstand.
three pointing it. Been there. Not too comforting.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

three pointing it. Been there. Not too comforting.
That front shot was taken at the track doing simple tire & brake bleeding work. (rear shot was taken at a different time, if you look closely you will see a different paint/decal scheme between the two shots). If was really wrenching on it I would have adjusted things to make sure the car was solid. Hey you can 3 wheel it pretty easy if both rear stands are one notch different.

Quick Reply: Jack stand question