Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing trunk leak

Hi guys,

I have water getting in my trunk and the source has been found to be the gas filler. The hole under the gas filler that connects to the hoses in the trunk is not making a proper seal. I was wondering how you guys have fixed this? Someone seems to have altered the way this was done from factory, so I have no idea how Porsche had intended to do this?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

take the interior panels off. once you see how things are connected it will make sense. make sure you have the rubber grommet the metal tube goes into. reset the tube in the grommet, maybe run a bead of urethane between the car and the grommet, and the grommet and the tube.

once the metal tube is properly connected to the Y, make sure the tube it is connected to is going out of the car in the well next to the spare, and not into the well.

then make sure the tubes from the sunroof are properly draining. what i did was take off the sunroof and get a few bottles of water. i poured the water down the tube by the gas tank and by the sunroof. all drained OK. i read that the best way to clean the tubes is with hedge trimmer nylon.

If water is getting under the passenger seat bottom and on the floor by the passenger seat you may want to run a piece of tape on the bottom of the quarter window where the glass meets the rubber. if that stops the leaking get some urethane between the glass and the rubber.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Mike 944
Racer

Hi Tom,

My problem is that water gets in through the rubber grommet that plugs into the hole of the gas filler and slides alongside the tube it connects too. How did you ensure a tight seal between the grommet and metal of the car?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

try seating/sealing it with some urethane. from my experience i suggest you pull the interior panel to get access. then put a dab of urethane in the hole, seat the grommet and put the metal tube in. that should seal it real nice.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Mike 944
Racer

I never worked with urethane...what product would I buy as a sealent?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

darned if i know. my cousin that works for the general as an engineer told me they now use urethane instead of silicone. silicone caulking will probably do the same thing. but, if in the store you see what looks like a tube of silicone and it says urethane, go for the urethane.

if you have a tube of silicone use it. the silicone will probably last as long as you intend to keep the car and then some.

Quick Reply: Fixing trunk leak