Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First week with my 944 an i need some DIY Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007 | 08:38 AM
me97ggl
Advanced

Default First week with my 944 an i need some DIY Tips

This is my first week with my 944 S2 and i have made a list of DIY small repairs.

How can i change the light bolb that is on the water temperature side in the dash?

Do all electrical switches and ***** have bulbs in them? (i.e. The windows switches?)

How can i change the digital clock?

How can i tight the passengers side mirror ?

Is there a way to tighten the tailgate? (i have the feeling there is a sound coming from it)

What should i do to stop the seats from sliding a bit while accelerating and brakeing? (Power Seats)

And a question to the S2 owners. Where should the water Temperature gauge stay when warm? (if i am right, there are 4 segments on the temp gauge. Bottom(white) the top (red) and two in between (white)

At my car the gauge shows just a bit higher than first white line (and this after a long time...i.e driving 15-20km)

Thanx
George
Old 01-29-2007 | 09:52 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Temp guage sounds right, no, all electrical switches do not have bulbs.
Old 01-29-2007 | 09:53 AM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Clark's Garage is an excellent DIY resource:
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:14 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

If your seats are sliding most likely the one of the bolts holding the seat slider to the car is missing.

The seats bolt on with 4 bolts to the slider and 4 more bolts holds the slider to the car frame.

Slide the seat all the way forward, remove the 2 rear bolts, then slide it all the way forward and remove those 2 front bolts.
Then the seat should come free, you might need to disconnet a power connection.
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:15 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

What about the mirror needs to be tightened?

Is the glass shaking?
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:20 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

George, the beauty of this car is that she's been around for awhile and much of this has been addressed here on Renn. Do a "search" and you will find much info to answer your questions, plus, learn even more about your car.
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:32 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibkevin
George, the beauty of this car is that she's been around for awhile and much of this has been addressed here on Renn. Do a "search" and you will find much info to answer your questions, plus, learn even more about your car.
Kevin- Thanks (seriously) for mentioning search without being a *****. I've seen too many people jump on new members/posters for not searching, rather than just reminding them it's there!

With that having been said, welcome George!

The 'tailgate rattle' you're mentioning has a couple of possibilities. First, check the cubbies behind the rear wheels for loose stuff that might be shaking around. Also, check the spare tire, spare tire well, and the jack. If anything's loose, secure it and listen again. If that's not it, check the fitment on the hatch pins. You may need to tighten them up a bit to keep the hatch shut more securely to stop the rattle.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2007 | 10:52 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Welcome mate,

First the good news, you bought the second finest Car Porsche produced

Bad news, the S2 cab was the Best

have a look at my page for some info on bits and pieces and projects that I'm doing. also pop on along to NotJustPorsche, where there are a few s2 guys who can assist you along with more FAQ's on P's

pretty much everything people said below is fine

as for lights, hmm, difficult, to say, I know I kept finding things that should have worked and didnt and then worked.

are you close to a Porsche club or local chapter ? hook up with another fello p944'r and compare cars.

As long as its a late 944, they alll share the same running parts

ok heres the links

my site is:
http://playback.demon.co.uk

NotJustPorsche is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notjustporsche/

Originally Posted by me97ggl
This is my first week with my 944 S2 and i have made a list of DIY small repairs.

How can i change the light bolb that is on the water temperature side in the dash?

Do all electrical switches and ***** have bulbs in them? (i.e. The windows switches?)

How can i change the digital clock?

How can i tight the passengers side mirror ?

Is there a way to tighten the tailgate? (i have the feeling there is a sound coming from it)

What should i do to stop the seats from sliding a bit while accelerating and brakeing? (Power Seats)

And a question to the S2 owners. Where should the water Temperature gauge stay when warm? (if i am right, there are 4 segments on the temp gauge. Bottom(white) the top (red) and two in between (white)

At my car the gauge shows just a bit higher than first white line (and this after a long time...i.e driving 15-20km)

Thanx
George
Old 01-29-2007 | 05:33 PM
me97ggl
Advanced

Thank you all for your help!!!

You are right, next time i will try the "search" option!!

I guess i have to lay back... and enjoy the search for this car!!

believe me i am happy with the car even if it is the second best 944, or the third or the forth!!!!

I will always have in my mind a 944Turbo as i dreamed it when i was a kid,(the fact that its the fastest 944 ever built.....that makes a big sence of its own i guess) but as an adult i think the S2 is the best "politicaly correct" to fun ratio a 944 could give!

Back to the question about the mirror.

The whole mirror is rattling from the base. There is nothing wrong with the glass part, or the folding mechanism. Its just the end that is held on the door. So i guess i need to take out the inside cover and get a way to the bolts that hold the mirror.

Thank you all for your warm welcome and your help!!!!!
Take care!

George
Old 01-29-2007 | 05:51 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

turn your mirror in towards the car, there is an allen bolt going down from the top of the base which secures it to a piece of round stock welded to the inside of your door (well, a strap is welded holdng the stock)
Old 01-29-2007 | 05:59 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
Welcome mate,

First the good news, you bought the second finest Car Porsche produced

Bad news, the S2 cab was the Best
And the great news is that there is no bias on this forum.

Quick Reply: First week with my 944 an i need some DIY Tips