Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fluid, brakes feel spongy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
mzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fluid, brakes feel spongy.

I just replaced the fluid in my brakes because it looked like it hasn't been changed sense 87' ! And before I did this the brakes had a very stiff feel, not much travel, but once in a while it would get a little soft on me so i assumed it was the fluid. So i replaced it with some high performance DOT4 fluid. And the pedal now has a inch to inch and a half of spongy feeling before it firms up.

Is there any way to get the old feel back? The actual braking feels more solid, and stops much better. I just don't like the feel.

And no, there aren't any air bubbles, I made sure and ran plenty of fluid through just to make sure the old was all out and no chance of air bubbles.

OT: My car is the first year that had ABS as an option. How do I tell (besides slamming on the brakes) if I have ABS or not?

Last edited by mzman; 01-19-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have an ABS module under your hood (it will have a bunch of hard brake lines running to it but it won't be attached to the brake booster). There is also option codes listed on a label in your rear hatch - just lift the carpet that is on snaps like you are getting to the hatch release motor and rear tail light bulbs. Look for the 3 digit code: 593. You can also look at this site at the other codes you have. http://www.cantonia.com/option_codes.html

Quick Reply: New fluid, brakes feel spongy.