Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas tank woes

Is it just my car or will the gas nozzle not stay in most 944s. I have to stand next to my car and hold the nozzle in, this is especially annoying in oregon where they pump your gas for you. I have to get out and explain to the gas filling junkee how he has to stand there and fill the tank, and also make sure not to let it fill up the neck. is there something i can do to counter this?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not had a problem with my '85/1 (though your avatar looks like it's definitely '86+. My problem is that the gas filling junkees don't reseat the cap entirely at times, which leaks gas all down the side of my car (great after getting it clean!). Sometimes I miss California because at least there I could pump my gas.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:23 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on the pump. I'd say 80% of them stay in and the rest I've got to hold while filling up.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

the red 944 is an 85.5
Old 01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Self-serve is illegal in Oregon? How come?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Supachink
Racer

Mine never stays in, nor do i ever leave it in unattended. Reason being, I dont mind standing there versus walking away and having it come sliding out and scraping the F out of the car. Also when ever i fill my tank up... like when the pump stops itself i get a heave smell of gas inside the car, Ive tried to locate the problem, but cant find it anywhere. No signs of gas leakage, but i belive that the top of the tank may have a small crack in it from previous posts that i have read.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

It's illegal because they passed a law against it, saying it's "safer" to not have the driver do it. I've never fully understood the reason. I believe Oregon is one of only two states in the union to have it illegal to self-serve.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Oregon is a really screwed up state, they have alot of stuff that needs to be addressed. They dont do a very good job with there roads either. if the gas gets up the neck I also get a heavy gas smell for about 15 miles
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

It's the same in NJ.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

I've never had that problem (924 or 944).

I suppose it depends on the pump design, but you should be grateful you get to buy 93 instead of the 91 here in California.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Prolly is a touch safer, less chance of static starting a fire (drivers tend to sit back down in a warm car, slide out of their cloth seats, touch the pump where there's a bit of fumes, and whoosh! Or they use their cell phones near the fumes)

Most pumps don't stay in my car; the curve of the fender keeps the bottom from going in deep enough to hang in by itself ( no sexual innuendos, please! )

One time, while in another car, the pump's pressure switch failed or something... the pump keep pumping gas after the tank was full and spilling it onto the ground. Fortunately, I was nearby wiping the windows and got to it quickly.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:45 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Prolly is a touch safer, less chance of static starting a fire (drivers tend to sit back down in a warm car, slide out of their cloth seats, touch the pump where there's a bit of fumes, and whoosh! Or they use their cell phones near the fumes)
Debatable topic!

Mythbusters, Episode 2: Episode 2: Cell Phone Destruction

Cell Phone + Gas Station = Explosion? You have undoubtedly encountered a gas station (or more than one) that has a sign asking you not to use you cell phone because it may cause an explosion. Is that really the case? Can you blow up a gas station with your cell phone?

It seems unlikely, and after some investigation, it seems the most likely cause is probably a static discharge, because most of the gas station explosions come when people are getting into and out of their car.

After watching traffic at a station, women are six times are likely as men to get into their car while they are pumping. So Adam and Jamie set up a blast chamber using some women's underwear. The underwear is moved back and forth to create a spark in hopes that it will create a spark and ignite the gas fumes

It doesn't work, so they go back to the lab and experiment with some ratios, so they go back to the blast chamber and create a richer combination. Eventually they create a "longer spark" because the shorter one isn't working and eventually they get a big boom - but it's been pretty well determined that, even though the cell phone does generate heat, the phone ringer doesn't seem to spark long enough to ignite the fumes. Busted.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

You are correct, totally busted. Some companies say their no-cellphone signs are to keep people focused on the job at hand.

Eliminating self-serve increases the cost of gas, and I don't think there are huge safety issues where it's allowed. Given a choice the vast majority of people would prefer to save a few cents a litre and pump it themselves imo. I'm surprised you don't have a choice.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by 75ohm
Debatable topic!

Mythbusters, Episode 2: Episode 2: Cell Phone Destruction

Cell Phone + Gas Station = Explosion? You have undoubtedly encountered a gas station (or more than one) that has a sign asking you not to use you cell phone because it may cause an explosion. Is that really the case? Can you blow up a gas station with your cell phone?

It seems unlikely, and after some investigation, it seems the most likely cause is probably a static discharge, because most of the gas station explosions come when people are getting into and out of their car.

After watching traffic at a station, women are six times are likely as men to get into their car while they are pumping. So Adam and Jamie set up a blast chamber using some women's underwear. The underwear is moved back and forth to create a spark in hopes that it will create a spark and ignite the gas fumes

It doesn't work, so they go back to the lab and experiment with some ratios, so they go back to the blast chamber and create a richer combination. Eventually they create a "longer spark" because the shorter one isn't working and eventually they get a big boom - but it's been pretty well determined that, even though the cell phone does generate heat, the phone ringer doesn't seem to spark long enough to ignite the fumes. Busted.

With all due respect, the Mythbuster guys reflect reality about as much as Spongebob does. I like the show, but I don't take the findings too seriously. Anything with a battery is a potential source of ignition.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

You have to admit though, with the amount of years that have gone by since gas pumps were invented... say around 1885 or so... multiplied by the number of users and a lifespan of fills in addition to all the potential for combustion... how many cases of spontaneous combustion using cell phones or static discharge have been reported?

Point being, there truly has to be a significant spark source with duration for that type of ignition to occur. Pretty wicked arc type in high concentration of fumes really...

However, erring on the side of caution - one should consider the law of probabilities here.

Quick Reply: Gas tank woes