Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: '86 944S 36K miles (Not Turbo) (photos now)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airbag GOOD... ABS BAD
Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Jeez, some way to greet a 928 owner asking some questions...

However, precisely because the 1986 cars were so abundant, a low miles unmolested (no modifications) example is becoming harder to find because most people who buy them used are hungry for performance upgrades and end up bolting on a variety of go-fast parts that detract from its original value.

Exactly what level of modifications is deemed molesting?
I feel guilty every time I order more parts for my car. I try to justify it by keeping the old "stock" pieces in case I deceide to go back to stock.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the eduation! I asked the owner if it was a 951. Actually, I ask "So when are you going to pull the cover off and stretch her legs". The retired old guy laughed and said, I have trouble getting in and out of her now. She goes to the dealer for two oile changes a year regardless how low the mileage.

I have had one person ask me to get the contact info, so I am doing that tomorrow. If any of you want to buy her, I will be happy to test driver her for you

Thanks for the warmer greeting.

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Jeez, some way to greet a 928 owner asking some questions...

Hi Andre, the car is probably a plain jane 1986 944 Turbo, aka 951.

1986 was the most plentiful model year, as Porsche built 10,273 of these cars, a whopping 7,513 for the North American market. The '86 cars are noted for being a bit more "stock" than later 951s, not having ABS brakes, or airbags. The engines were fitted with the famed forged rods.

But given the production number, even if the car is in fact mint, it's not as rare as, say, a 1988 Turbo S would be. Porsche "only" built 4,097 cars that year, and not all were "Turbo S" cars fitted with the M44/52 engine, larger turbo, M030 sport suspension package, sodium filled valvles, etc.

However, precisely because the 1986 cars were so abundant, a low miles unmolested (no modifications) example is becoming harder to find because most people who buy them used are hungry for performance upgrades and end up bolting on a variety of go-fast parts that detract from its original value.

So, depending on what the buyer is looking for, it may be overpriced or it may be a steal. For a concours prospect, it might be a fun car to have. Enjoy checking it out!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
darylcjackson
Advanced

camaro_mucher, now you got me started so here we go: ABS bad, Airbags bad, PSM bad, PSAM bad, power steering evil, power door locks stupid and bad, power windows useful but bad, power hatch unlocker dumb and bad, air conditioning bad, sunroof bad, 23" wheels bad, 22" wheels bad, 21" wheels bad, 20" wheels bad, 19" wheels bad, 18" wheels ok, 16" forged fuchs great, wheel locks bad, cast wheels bad, drive by wire throttle really bad, cup holders in cars EVIL, cell phones in cars EVIL, GPS in cars stupid, sport crono evil marketing to charge you more...need I go on :-) You get my drift.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

IIRC the '86s also came standard with the transaxle cooler.

ABS Good---even the factory Porsche racers prefer it, and yes it modulates better than you
Airbags Good---I took them out but still get the insurance discount
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
darylcjackson
Advanced

About 10 years ago Barth said that racing ABS was better than even the best Factory hotshoes. But, it's a slippery slope that leads us to drive by wire throttle control and sport crono. Progress is good but I just saw Lexus advertising a car that will park itself. Hands free! That is purely and completely ridiculous. I'll stop driving before I buy a car that parks itself for me.

BTW, I did the same with the airbag on my other P'Car.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

'listers,

If you are wondering why I even posted here, it was to find a new home for a pristine car. If my son was older I would have bought it for him as first car, but 8 y.o. with a turbo 944 is more than mom can handle!

I have two requests in about the car, so if you want me to forward your info to the owner, please PM with cell and email.

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 PM
darylcjackson
Advanced

My bad for hijacking and ranting. I saw the Lexus commercial and everything went red and blurry. But, In my defense the Lexus parks itself. I had to let off some steam over that. Ok, I feel better now :-)
Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylcjackson
My bad for hijacking and ranting. I saw the Lexus commercial and everything went red and blurry. But, In my defense the Lexus parks itself. I had to let off some steam over that. Ok, I feel better now :-)
With that avatar full of split-tail you should be freakin' giddy as all get out!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Lexus is just a fancy Toyota anyway...good for old guys and gals since they can't park on the best of days.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
darylcjackson
Advanced

Sadly, the old avitar is gone but not forgotten
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting for the day the first "self-park" Lexus system fails. It's a great short-term gimick to boost sales, but a very risky long-term investment for Lexus, as it might be a modern day redux of the Audi transmission failures in the 1980's when they shifted into Drive accidentally. AFAIK, an Audi never drove over a person... these Lexus's (Lexii? haha) might.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Yea does the lexus use laser or sonar or what? Or what happens when some dumb girl leaves her hands in the steering wheel and the things turns like in the commercial. But it probably is safer than a person parking, just not when a sensor fails.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:54 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
I'm waiting for the day the first "self-park" Lexus system fails. It's a great short-term gimick to boost sales, but a very risky long-term investment for Lexus, as it might be a modern day redux of the Audi transmission failures in the 1980's when they shifted into Drive accidentally. AFAIK, an Audi never drove over a person... these Lexus's (Lexii? haha) might.
The Audi's never shifted in drive accidentally, if you're referring to the unintended acceleration fiasco. Proven to be driver error each time.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Andre Hedrick
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Update for the two 'listers who asked me to forward contact info to the owner.
The wife has the info, and she told me more about the car. When she would drive it to work sometimes, her husband made her put the cover on where ever the car stopped. So we are talking serious garage queen find! I have been in my nieghborhood since '99 and never saw this car. They brought the car out of storage and has current CA smog and tags. They plan on taking pictures this weekend and asked me to come by and inspect the car. I will update much later in the week.

Quick Reply: FS: '86 944S 36K miles (Not Turbo) (photos now)